Hattori KD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeZ

Banned
Reaction score
So I have been scouring the web every once and a while hoping to find a KD gyuto on sale.. Today I said why dont I sort my search for "hattori kd" by date... Well I was shocked the first few links on google were all sites with malware trying to infect my computer... anyway on a unrelated note this lady on the cooking show I am watching is teaching about how she is caramelizing some meat and all I can think is how horrible it is she is mis-educating people by not discussing the maillard reaction.. Anybody have a Hattori KD gyuto they wanna sell? :)

I have a santoku sir... you off this sat night?

... I would say that and my new carter are the best knives I have by far.. Except the konosuke for the sweet potatoes :)

and the mystery is gone.. and the price is insane. the mystery of all the spyware pages still remains

Isn't RRLOVER selling his customized one.

That's what it says in his "Fire Sale" thread in the sales forum.

did I miss something? I did not see that in the fire sale... I would like to see a pic of it even heh, how much it go for?

http://www.dick.biz used to sell them but they sold out their stock and can't get new ones. However, the chief sharpener told me that they have another line to replace them. In his opinion these knives are on eye level with the KD but way cheaper, Katsuhiro Hocho.

Pretty much unattainable for a new one from what I understand. Hasn't it been for a while now?

Im really unsure about the KD. I rather have DT than a KD, and to be honest is the KD made by Hattori himself or is it not?
To many roomers about this knife that I want it. Id rather have a custom one of a kind than a massprodused knife like the KD.

Massproduced might be a little odd term for the KD.... And what makes you believe it is not made by Hattori?

I've owned two. Very nice knives but just a little too "prissy" for a commercial kitchen.

Something about a micarta handle on a 1K knife that just rubs me the wrong way.

http://www.dick.biz used to sell them but they sold out their stock and can't get new ones. However, the chief sharpener told me that they have another line to replace them. In his opinion these knives are on eye level with the KD but way cheaper, Katsuhiro Hocho.

Looks just like the Tanaka ironwood:

chefknivestogo_2157_16130020

Katsuhiro Hocho

719345_01_P_WE_8.jpg

So you're a sizzle guy?

Not really. I just have something against plastic on an expensive knife. Its the same reason why I never understood the corian handles on Nenox's.

did I miss something? I did not see that in the fire sale... I would like to see a pic of it even heh, how much it go for?

001-50.jpg

Here you go,one modified KD.As for the price....I gave it away.It is one sweeta$$ knife.

You gave it away??? OMG, I would give up chocolate and weed for a year for that knife look how pretty it looks! I even like the shape.. omg its so georgious. Why would you give it away?? I wanted a new handle on my KD.. I was not looking for it new even just used I know there are some floating around out there.. I have a DT and can tell you I like the hattori a LOT better.. but the DT is very pretty and has its use

I have a DT and can tell you I like the hattori a LOT better.. but the DT is very pretty and has its use

Now you got me curious. What do you like more about the KD, and what type of DT do you have?

Massproduced might be a little odd term for the KD.... And what makes you believe it is not made by Hattori?

Well when you make 100 + knives and call it KD the are often massproduced. For the KD line Im unsure that Ichiro Hattori made them himself. I know that the FH serie is NOT made by him. But again its all roomers. I believe Ichiro Hattori is a businessman and made a name for him self, and doing so you find out a lot of others can make a hell of a lot knives for you to brand. Bill Burke makes 50 knives a year, each special and unique. So paying 1500 USD for a KD, when you can get a unique knife from a bladesmith live Devin... Well Im sure what I choose.

Im really unsure about the KD. I rather have DT than a KD, and to be honest is the KD made by Hattori himself or is it not?
To many roomers about this knife that I want it. Id rather have a custom one of a kind than a massprodused knife like the KD.
It's well known that the HD knives with the Hattori Kanji are made by Ryusen; the same knives are available under other labels as well (e.g., CKTG sells them with the Maruyoshi name). However, it is my understanding that the Hattori KD knives are actually made by Hattori. If you want to verify that, I suggest that you ask Koki from JCK.

Well when you make 100 + knives and call it KD the are often massproduced. For the KD line Im unsure that Ichiro Hattori made them himself. I know that the FH serie is NOT made by him. But again its all roomers. I believe Ichiro Hattori is a businessman and made a name for him self, and doing so you find out a lot of others can make a hell of a lot knives for you to brand. Bill Burke makes 50 knives a year, each special and unique. So paying 1500 USD for a KD, when you can get a unique knife from a bladesmith live Devin... Well Im sure what I choose.

I don't see it being mass produced,I have been on two lists for over three years now.If eto did not post that korin had two at there NY store I would never had one.BTW how can you compare a 52100 blade to a cowry X blade,that's apples an oranges.If you owned a KD you can be a hater all you want,until then Stop Hating.

Back