Quantcast
Yet another "what gyuto should I buy" thread ;-)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another "what gyuto should I buy" thread ;-)

Yet another "what gyuto should I buy" thread ;-)

Hi,

I'm getting interested in Japanese knives and I'm looking to buy my first Gyuto, 240mm. I would like to have the feedback of the forums members regarding what I should consider buying.

Here's what I use my knives for, most of the time :
    - Vegetables (pepper, onions, tomatoes, raw potatoes, cauliflower, etc.)
    - Raw meat (without bones)
    - Fruits (apples, oranges, lemon)
    - Ginger and garlic

Some other information:
    - I already own some high-end German knives, so I can still use these for cutting things that would need a solid blade
    - I don't really care about a knife being stainless or not
    - I don't care about the look - but I do care for performance!
    - I can't figure out if I prefer "wa" style or not. I'm pretty sure that I could live with any of them
    - I've never sharpened a Japanese knife, but I will buy some stones and a DVD and learn how to do it

I'm the kind of guy who will invest in high quality equipment and use it for very long. I know that if I don't buy the best that I can afford right away, then I will regret it and replace it a few years later... So I'd like to get the best that I can afford in order to never look back - I'd like to use those knives for decades without replacing them.

Since I live in Canada, I found that the best place to shop would be on JCK. So I would like to focus on their products.

For now, the Hattori FH series look interesting, but the Masamoto KS look very good as well.

I'd like to get your opinion about which products I should consider, in your opinion.

Thanks!

Of your looking for the best, I would go with a custom; Devin Thomas, L. R Harner or Marko, all are vendors here that turn out great knives at a good price considering the quality of their work. If your looking for other great custom knive at slightly lower prices yet still great quality I would look at Del Ealy or Mario (RRlover) i can personally attest to the quality of both as I own knives from both. Living in Canada I would suggest looking at Lefty's shop, "sharp and shiny" as he is located in Canada I imagine shipping would be slightly cheaper. That said Lefty has a smaller inventory, but its deffintely worth looking into he gets some high quality knives made from some vendors here and some cool vintage pieces.

How much you got?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Kitchen Knife Forum

The helker: I just had a look at their knives. Wow! However, I think that their prices would be too high for me.

Theory: i would say $400, max. But I'd prefer $350 or under...

No good idea to go custom yet. First, get familiarized with Japanese blades, the different options, fine tune your technique perhaps, and learn to sharpen them properly. You don't know yet if you prefer a wide blade, a flat profile, a laser or a heavy blade, flat or very convexed geometry, more or less asymmetry, handle or blade heavy etc.
    Get a middle of the road blade of some $200 and a few stones for free handing and start you journey in this crazy world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bef View Post
    The helker: I just had a look at their knives. Wow! However, I think that their prices would be too high for me.

Theory: i would say $400, max. But I'd prefer $350 or under...
    Masamoto KS Wa-Gyuto.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Get a middle of the road blade of some $200 and a few stones for free handing and start you journey in this crazy world.
    Wise words. You can practice sharpening with your "solid blades" (heh) before moving to your j-knife, but you'd still be better off--IMHO--shaving $100-$150 off your initial knife budget and getting something cheaper plus a few stones.

I'd say get a gyuto, a petty and some stones with that cash...
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

so many choices at JCK...if i were you id get either a hiromoto AS, JCK carbonext or Misono swedish carbon.

Benuser, Vertigo:

I was actually already planning to buy Dave's core stones set + DVD, and a flattenimg stone as well.

Knowing the kind of guy I am, I'm pretty sure that I will keep the knife I will buy for, at least, a decade. Which is why I want to get the best that I can afford ($200-$350)... Which doesn't mean that I want to spend $350: I actually want to get the best performing knife in this price range.

And since I live in Canada, the best place to buy a knife is JCK.

Do you guys have any recommendations?