Quantcast
Death to celebrity chefs!!! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Death to celebrity chefs!!!

As someone who did their first local tv cooking spot today..I hope the celeb chef doesn't die out before I get paid, son!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Do we have to be chained to a stove for the rest of our lives 24/7, to maintain a sense of self worth? If someone offered me Flay type money, I'd take it and run. And make the most awesomest at home kitchen ever. And cook when I wanted to. Not because I had to due to monetary concerns. I LOVE FOOD. I typically love cooking. But I'm not a line junkie. I enjoy the creative aspect, learning new techniques, and developing my craft. Sweating over a hectic service just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Probably why I'm into charcuterie, and am moving more and more into an administrative/ prep what I want when I want/ conceptualize ideas role.
    +1

I now want my tombstone to read: "Killed with a black pan by a man named knyfeknerd" -- and the baby goes to college.

if anyone has actually READ any of bourdain's books he openly admids, as many have said; im not a chef, im a writer. cooking is something i have done to pay bills and ive treated it as such. he states that at a critical point in his career he could have done $$ or the craft and he chose $$ and blow/crank and spent the 80's bouncing around and amounting to nothing. in his new book, medium raw, he sais that he sits around and at one point all these high guys admit that at some point you just do it for the money, you do it so someone else can run your flagship restaurant so they can have enough noteriety to go open their own place. you stop doing it for you and you do it for the rest. there is also a part in No reservations las vegas when he talks about the vegs "per se" from T. keller and why he went vegas and Keller said similar things. at some point you either expand at promote the good people with in, or you loose them to their own restaurants and other people waving their dreams in front of them. The U.S. food scene is riddled with it. very few have any real integrity once they get the name and the stuff. so few commit to the craft any more. look at David Chang with 3+ places and food spots. the problem is we all work so hard at some point you just give in to the $ i think.
    i'd like to say that if i had my own little place and could pack the house at 95-120 a night and do my own food i would be satisfied and i wouldnt ever expand i would just be happy. but the older i get the more i comporomise. so i cant say either way.

personally. i think i lost faith when Thomas Keller went corporate. i mean Damn. he WAS the 1990's/2k. everyone wanted to be him. he redefined the American chef putting his craft on the line. doing one place. being fully booked. just cooking. just doing it. i mean the list of people who came out of the ORIGINAL french Laundry, guys who treated it like Garduate school and spent 2-4 years are amazing chefs, ive met a great many of them before the time of Bouchon and the publishing of the first french laundry book, then .. bouchon. ... then NYC. .. then ... then. ... then. .... so IDk . you gotta go to sleep at night. you gotta make it work. and its a hard industry. you gotta do your food and make your living and just be happy with that in the end i think. and also we can all cook, and still have lives! its pretty cool that right now you can ACUTALLY make a real good living and make a real GOOD paycheck as an executive chef if thats your end career path goal and you stick to it for a while and STILL have time off and family time. thats something that hasnt been available to past chef generations and i think we are dealing with the transition now.

I honestly would rather be just "comfortable" and call the shots. I would have an issue with exploitation.

I would prefer to be the Bernie Worrell of chef's than the Paul Mccartney.

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I honestly would rather be just "comfortable" and call the shots. I would have an issue with exploitation.

I would prefer to be the Bernie Worrell of chef's than the Paul Mccartney.
    Oh, and own the real estate!

Right now I'd take a frying pan to the head for "comfortable and call the shots" without hesitation.

Is Jon Besh a celebrity? He makes me uneasy when I see him on camera.

Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    As someone who did their first local tv cooking spot today..I hope the celeb chef doesn't die out before I get paid, son!
    Link to this please! We would all like to critique your performance!

Oh and you other guys are funny.
    Which pans are best for bashing people in the head? I think there was a thread about cast iron here somewhere
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Death is a pretty harsh sentence -- except for Guy Fieri. As the stature of chefs has risen, the 'chef' term is more abused it seems. Frankly, I like how they added 'celebrity' to it as for me it means things like: 'not a real chef' or 'not a chef anymore'. I've also met my fair share of line cooks who don't give a crap about food, learning their trade, expanding their technique or familiarity with other flavors etc who love to call themselves a chef. They can piss me off too in the right situation.

I mean, is Paul Bocuse a celebrity chef or even a chef any more? He no longer cooks at his restaurant. I love how he was asked one time: "Who cooks the food in your restaurant when you are gone?" His response was: "The same people who cook the food when I am there." If a chef has done their time and are good cooks, I have no problem with them cashing in.

Putting crap shows on TV is another thing, but that is why we have DVRs.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

+ Reply to Thread