Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Death to celebrity chefs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    Precisely why I will NEVER, EVER, NEVER work in a commercial kitchen EVER, NEVER, EVER again.

OH yeah - watching Mario try to school Eric Ripert is a hoot -
    Never have, and hopefully never will. I'd rather make ten grand less a year doing something I enjoy, over being exploited till I burn out(says the guy with virtually no debt/bills...)
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Now it comes to what do you mean "celebrity chef"? Keller, Ripert,Robuchon, even Fergus Henderson are celebrity chefs now. Wolfgang Puck, perhaps the first celebrity chef, made his bones for years in the kitchen. Fieri, Ray? yeah, F off. Some of these chefs busted their ass for years working 7 days/16hrs a week shift to make their food and restaurants perfect. Just because the media has taken an interest doesn't mean these people are any less of a cook and good for them for finally having to not be in the kitchen. I think its a myth that anyone with a family to support and an option to make life better, wouldn't take an opportunity to make life better and would foresake that to continue work those hours.

I used to like watching Flay, but since I saw him putting Fage yogurt in everything that was too much. I'm sure some of you never cared for him anyway, but I did enjoy his rather simple southwest style cooking...once he became an Iron Chef it's all been downhill. BTW, I don't cook for a living, but have ultimate respect for those who do.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    tkern, I'm asking at what point do you actually really give up cooking in a restaurant?
    No offense, but the day I see ANY of you guys in advertisement in Saveur or B.A. or Food & Wine in a private jet sipping on a mocktail in your MetroStylist designed wardrobe.....I'll hunt you down and smack you with a cast iron pan.
    I've got a family to support and would love nothing more than to not work these hours..........
    .......but how far would you sell out?
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Hopefully, a chef passes his responsibility on to the best qualified person. i.e. Thomas Keller w/ Hollingsworth, Ziebold, etc.

What is selling out in the industry? Supporting a line of pans? (Puck) Supporting bullion cubes (Marco pierre white)? Supporting Mac knives (Keller)? Its not like people lives are on the line.

If anyone bases their worth as a cook on what their heros do, its going to fail. Its like Led Zepplin in crysler commercials for musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    tkern, I'm asking at what point do you actually really give up cooking in a restaurant?
    No offense, but the day I see ANY of you guys in advertisement in Saveur or B.A. or Food & Wine in a private jet sipping on a mocktail in your MetroStylist designed wardrobe.....I'll hunt you down and smack you with a cast iron pan.
    I've got a family to support and would love nothing more than to not work these hours..........
    .......but how far would you sell out?
    I like to think I have integrity, and I truly respect integrity, but if offered a large enough check, you would probably have to hunt me down and smack me with a cast iron pan. The extra money and cast iron pan would be bit better than the current situation.

'Selling out' is a loaded term. Did Keller sell out when he wrote a book for at home cooks? Did Morimoto sell out when he agreed to do Iron Chef America?
    Last edited by brainsausage; 01-31-2013 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Tkern beat me to it...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

A lot of overreaction in this thread IMO

Do we have to be chained to a stove for the rest of our lives 24/7, to maintain a sense of self worth? If someone offered me Flay type money, I'd take it and run. And make the most awesomest at home kitchen ever. And cook when I wanted to. Not because I had to due to monetary concerns. I LOVE FOOD. I typically love cooking. But I'm not a line junkie. I enjoy the creative aspect, learning new techniques, and developing my craft. Sweating over a hectic service just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Probably why I'm into charcuterie, and am moving more and more into an administrative/ prep what I want when I want/ conceptualize ideas role.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    A lot of overreaction in this thread IMO
    To?