The Vapor Stove

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
The stoves burned "stove gasoline," a "heavy" or crude form of the fuel. (Vapor stoves could burn multiple fuels that also included kerosene, a type of oil, or a fuel called "distillate"). Gasoline stoves offered a quicker cooking time and, unlike wood or coal stoves, didn't make the kitchen unbearably hot in the summer. They also weren't sooty, like coal stoves. They were a blessing to homemakers who were tired of sweltering at every summer meal and who weren't connected to a city natural gas system.

1v1nIQUl.png
[/IMG]

PTpanE8l.png
[/IMG]

1893 New Process vapor stove

The stove used gasoline as a fuel. This was not at all like the highly refined gasoline that we use today but a liitle desired by-product of the oil industry. The stoves were seen as an alternative to the use of wood burning stoves in the summertime. They tended to be dangerous, consequently advertising emphasized their safety. Notice children, animals and flammable furnishings in close proximity to the stove.

Detroit Stove Co. was a major maker.
usC4ceCl.jpg
[/IMG]

jwcm81tl.jpg
[/IMG]

3zdfvAdl.jpg
[/IMG]

Needless to say after quite a few accidents natural gas won out.

What brought me to this post was finding this Griswold Vapor Griddle .
it was used as a diffuser to tame the flame.
Mz7tYzIl.jpg
[/IMG]

now you know .

I like how the ad says "The stove that has revolutionized woman's work"

Here is one more ad for the vapor stove .
JnYHsqRl.jpg
[/IMG]

4HYyJZel.jpg
[/IMG]

When I ran boats, we had alcohol stoves which were INCREDIBLY dangerous. Nothing like these though!

Back