What Next?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiajl6297

Reaction score
So here goes. I now am the proud owner of the following knives:

1. Blazen 240 Gyuto (Western handled)
2. Ealy Paring (custom handled)
3. Zakuri 100mm Blue #2 Kurouchi Damascus Utility (amazing little knife)
4. Zakuri Special Order 270mm Aogami Super Kurouchi Yanagiba (wa handled)

1,2, and 4 have all come from the BST thread - thank you all! I still have quite a few of my older knives that I use, including an amusingly large cutco set purchased from brother in-law many years ago, a shun santoku, and a super flexible henkels boning knife.

My question is this - I am looking for a tidy line up of really nice Japanese style kit, and I feel like I am missing one or two knives to fill this out. I am thrilled with all four of these knives. I also recently was given a Gesshin 5000 stone for Christmas, and boy does it cut well. Still working on my sharpening, and having fun with it.

What am I missing from my upgraded lineup? I do not have any single bevels, and am wondering whether a deba is next? Are there any other obvious items the community thinks belong in this kind of lineup? I want to keep my collection compact and constantly in use, and do not want to collect knives to sit unused. If I do decided to get a new knife in a style I already have, I intend to sell my existing one. As always, thanks for your input!

ask yourself what else do you do more? fish or chicken / meats.....

Definitely do more chicken and meat than Fish. Probably 10 chickens to every one fish.

Honesuki or petty and the itk bread knife.

Just when you think you have acomplete set of knives, there's ALWAYS a new knife you NEED. :hungry:

But I would just get whatever fits with your job. Breaking down 10 chickens a day? Yeah, a honesuki's a pretty good investment. And FYI, you don't seem to have a "beater" knife. Perhaps a cheap Tojiro western deba?

No - definitely not 10 chickens a day! I am just a humble home cook. More like 10 chickens every 6 mos! (I am addicted to homemade cx stock).

I don't "need" a honesuki by any stretch. Since I can easily break down chickens with my existing henkels boning knife which I actually like, I don't think I need a honesuki. Perhaps I don't need anything more! (that is depressing, but probably true).

I am getting the most use out of my gyuto, seconded by my suji. I really truly like both knives. Still learning to sharpen them well. Perhaps the idea of a second wa handled laser gyuto is a good one - then I can actually see what type of steel, handle, etc. I prefer for every day mise en place. I do really enjoy the wa handle on my suji.

Does anyone have any wa handled gyuto's they are looking to unload, that would be a good example knife for someone who has only ever used a 240 Blazen? Suggestions for buying? Thanks all for steering me - I clearly have a lot of "want", and much less actual "need".

No help on the laser, but curious if you've considered a nakiri or veg cleaver?

Excellent point - no I have not considered a nakiri or a veg cleaver. When I go heavy on knifework, it does tend to be a lot of traditional veg prep. Is the Nakiri cutting motion significantly different from the push cut I use for gyuto work?

No real learning curve with nakiri, some with cleaver, push cutting works as does chopping, both are fun knives for some, while others find no pleasure. I use a rather large veg cleaver on occasion and it is a lot of fun; just sold a nakiri, but will replace once I replenish my rather depleted knife funds. The nice thing about a cleaver/nakiri is you can find inexpensive ones that actually perform decently i.e. CCK cleaver or some of the blue 2 tosa nakiri all less than $75 US. If you like, there are much nicer versions for more cash--my cleaver is a rather large CCK (1103) that I really like.

I suggest you try a laser. I have a SS Wa 270mm Suisin Inox Honyaki and it weighs in at 173 grams. It's hard at 61-62, F&F is great, and you can get it wicked sharp. It really does qualify as a laser. A little pricey but I think it's worth it.

Back