1 day in food (Mari still in Osaka)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
Hello hello!
I am home and completely jet lagged. I've been sitting at my work desk putting together this post, and hoping no one catches me dozing off.

I had an unfortunately eventful trip to Japan, and could not sit down to post here like I planned. But, Japan was fun, I ate tons of great food and I learned a lot.

Valuable things I learned this time around:

1. International insurance is extremely important. If you're traveling out of the country, always make sure your insurance company has your back in the event something happens.
  2. 抗生物質 (Kouseibushitsu) means antibiotics. (Thank you half surgeon from Albany.)
  3. Translating medical terms that you barely understand is difficult, and requires aspirin after a few hours.
  4. Japanese ambulances are small, but very roomy inside.
  5. Raw crab is a bit slimy but still delicious.

I put my camera in my bf's pocket and forgot to take it out before he left, so I won't have my own pictures until tomorrow, but here are a few pictures from my friend's camera. :)

Bullet train food! - Gyudon (beef bowl) with half cooked egg.

Dotombori

Takoyaki museum at Dotombori. It wasn't very impressive, I was a little disappointed. lol

Kani Doraku Restaurant, which is famous for their crab. I had a crab shabu shabu course here. :)
Hello dinner :hungry:

Crab with Japanese vinegar

My plate and myself in the background.

Crab sushi

Cream crab croquette

Raw crab sashimi

More raw crab

Crab brain sushi

Grilled crab

Small crab soup

Crab... something. I forgot sorry.

More crab brain.

I was pretty much done by the time I reached my main course, which was crab shabu shabu. I thought I was going to burst.

Then after I was done eating my shabu shabu, the broth I dipped crab and veggies in turned into amazing porridge!

And though you may be thinking "my goodness, that must have cost a pretty penny for all of that crab," it really wasn't bad. For all of that crab and an enormous meal that kept me pretty content for most of the next day, it was roughly $70. I highly recommend it for anyone who loves crabs, but I also recommend not wearing anything you plan to wear again later... You will smell like crab for the rest of the day.

Kukuru Takoyaki place in the Shin-Osaka train station

So Kani Doraku concludes my trip to Osaka, and we were ready to head to Kyoto!

Thanks for reading! :D

That sure was a lot of crab! Great photos...had no idea that raw crab was common.

Sorry to hear that you learned so much about medical services in Japan :(
Glad to see you came home OK though!

Never seen so many ways of serving crab--they all look delicious!

Hope the ambulance was just precautionary.

Cheers!

That sure was a lot of crab! Great photos...had no idea that raw crab was common.

Sorry to hear that you learned so much about medical services in Japan :(
Glad to see you came home OK though!

Me neither! I was my first time eating raw crab and it was pretty good. The texture is definitely weird, and may not be for everyone.

Thanks! My friend is okay now, so all is well that ends well. lol :)

Just looking at all of that crab made my lips swell! Do any Japanese have shellfish allergies?

Just looking at all of that crab made my lips swell! Do any Japanese have shellfish allergies?

Yes, I know one or two people with shellfish allergies, but allergies aren't too common in Japan. Most common allergies or intolerance are pollen, alcohol and dairy. I'm pretty convinced that Japanese milk found in supermarkets are mostly lactose-free, since I can drink it without a problem.

Back