Media A little love from a visiting chef

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles

KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
http://www.hirokoskitchen.com/blog/2013/01/michaels-way-impressive-method/

We had a class with Chef Hiroko Shimbo last weekend. She appreciated the array of Japanese knives I was using and struck up a conversation about sharpening. Following class I showed her my honing kit and how I use it to maintain the edges on my blades. She liked it so much that she wrote a blog post about it. (Yes, that is a Mizuno I'm stropping.)

Your MDF finally gets some deserved recognition - I love it! :D

That's great Mike

Nice nod from her.

Question about your stropping setup - MDF, huh? Hadn't considered that before. Do you do anything to the surface of it before adding the paste?

Thanks guys. She was very fun to work with. Definitely picked up a couple techniques from her which I'll incorporate into my cooking. It was nice to have a visiting chef take enough of an interest to want to check out my setup. When I suggested that she try her knife she really became a believer.
As for using MDF, the only thing I do is knock off the edges like you would normally do on a stone. Otherwise, I just apply the paste, let it dry for a minute or so and have at it.

Latest posts

Back