Quantcast
Moritaka on Rakuten International - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moritaka on Rakuten International

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Grind it down! Just take it to a DMT or other rough stone and work it, making sure to be spend as much time on both sides of the blade. This is really a minor issue, though it shouldn't leave a factory like that.

Personally, I'm stunned that they sell this prison shank for $125.
    I totally agree that these knives should never have left the shop like this,but thanks to Dave I now know what to look for next time I purchase a knife.

Yes but you don't see many prison shanks with a kiroutchi finish :-D. I think Takeda sells one for double the price.
    Thanks for the advice johndoughy.Would a 1000 grt stone do the job? I do have a XXc diamond if not.

One thing to keep in mind is to blend the new bevel back into the original. This visual might help you make it even. I'd also draw a line where you want the edge to end up.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    I own 3 Moritaka's and I haven't noticed any waves or holes in the edge of the blade.What I have noticed,on the gyuto and santoku,is that the heel of the blade is lower than the rest of the blade(I can see light coming through when I place the blade on a flat surface).It hasn't really affected the performance of my knives when chopping,slicing or chiffonade(no ribboning) Is there anything i can do to correct the problem with the lower heel?

That's it - you have a hole. Typical Moritaka shows the low hanging heal which is actually pointing out an overgrind in front of the heal. The problem is that too much steel has been removed from the side of the blade in that one spot. The only correction to remove it evenly along the rest of the blade without touching this overground section.....impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    That's it - you have a hole. Typical Moritaka shows the low hanging heal which is actually pointing out an overgrind in front of the heal. The problem is that too much steel has been removed from the side of the blade in that one spot. The only correction to remove it evenly along the rest of the blade without touching this overground section.....impossible.
    Damn! Oh well,live and learn.I still love my Moritaka's.Great performers and I still think great bang for the buck despite this flaw.
    Thanks again for the advise and info.Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    Damn! Oh well,live and learn.I still love my Moritaka's.Great performers and I still think great bang for the buck despite this flaw.
    Thanks again for the advise and info.Much appreciated.
    When did you buy your Moritakas? I'd hoped that they had fixed this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Grind it down! Just take it to a DMT or other rough stone and work it, making sure to be spend as much time on both sides of the blade. This is really a minor issue, though it shouldn't leave a factory like that.

Personally, I'm stunned that they sell this prison shank for $125.
    I have seen many that are in that price range, and Iwasaki made ones can get in the $1k range.

As far as Moritaka mine came with a bit of a bird peak and also the equvalent on the heel, it was not hard to correct but definitely a bit annoying.

Dave have you noticed the same problem with all Moritaka or just the KU ones?

Quote Originally Posted by KnightSaysKnif View Post
    When did you buy your Moritakas? I'd hoped that they had fixed this issue.
    I purchased all 3 within the last 8-9 months.No problem at all with the honesuki,just the gyuto and santoku had this issue.

I just noticed this on the slip of paper the comes with the knives under the sub-title Maintenance "Please note that the blade may have a slightly wavy appearance.This is not a defect! The blade is leveled off to the point where there is no problem for practical use and the slight wave has no effect on performance" Well at least they've acknowledge the "wavy appearance" on their blades and I agree that it hasn't affected the performance of the knives. It just would have been nice to know the situation before the purchase.
    No regrets....

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    Dave have you noticed the same problem with all Moritaka or just the KU ones?

Now that I think about it I'd have to say it's the KU ones but then that's mostly what I see.