Quantcast
Moritaka on Rakuten International - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moritaka on Rakuten International

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    That's it - you have a hole. Typical Moritaka shows the low hanging heal which is actually pointing out an overgrind in front of the heal. The problem is that too much steel has been removed from the side of the blade in that one spot. The only correction to remove it evenly along the rest of the blade without touching this overground section.....impossible.
    Couldn't this be done with a jig? It would certainly shorten the blade height, and you'd basically be grinding a brand new profile, kind of making your own knife. But it seems more than do-able. I mean, a slight overgrind at the factory doesn't mean it's immediately sent to the trash heap!

BTW, the manufacturer saying that it will "in no way affect performance" is never reassuring to me.

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Couldn't this be done with a jig? It would certainly shorten the blade height, and you'd basically be grinding a brand new profile, kind of making your own knife. But it seems more than do-able. I mean, a slight overgrind at the factory doesn't mean it's immediately sent to the trash heap!

BTW, the manufacturer saying that it will "in no way affect performance" is never reassuring to me.
    actually, i've found jigs to exacerbate the problem... i get the best results by taking it slow and adjusting dynamically as i go. Even still, i can get a flat edge, but the size of the bevel will vary a bit.

Not jigs like an Edge Pro, but I mean a jig setup made from wood, for a belt sander. You'd have to make it, but it would be a fun project for a day off.

Sponsors
    are you thinking in terms of thinning behind the edge to remove high and low spots?

wow that site is seriously cheap. typical though, i bought a 240 gyuto and a 150 petty from cktg a couple of months ago which worked out about $335AU delivered. would have saved myself heaps because that petty is half the price! my gyuto does have a nice octagonal handle though.

Quote Originally Posted by rancho View Post
    wow that site is seriously cheap. typical though, i bought a 240 gyuto and a 150 petty from cktg a couple of months ago which worked out about $335AU delivered. would have saved myself heaps because that petty is half the price! my gyuto does have a nice octagonal handle though.
    Were yours from the Aogami Super series or were they from the Blue#2 series?

The AS series which CKTG sells is generally $50 more expensive than the Blue#2 series whether you buy it from them or directly from Moritaka; getting an octagon handle adds another $20 above the standard D-shaped handle.

just be careful of reputable dealers who say they will "hand pick" a "good one" for you......doesn't work cause they don't *** they're lookin for.....moritakas are a bad deal fellas.....ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post

I've been using these knives at work and home for the past 6-9 months,so I can attest to their performance first hand.No problems whatsoever.I just thought it was interesting that they would acknowledge this "defect" on their enclosed literature.They must have had some negative feedback from customers or purveyors. I know how well these knives perform,I don't need any reassurance from them.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightSaysKnif View Post
    Were yours from the Aogami Super series or were they from the Blue#2 series?

The AS series which CKTG sells is generally $50 more expensive than the Blue#2 series whether you buy it from them or directly from Moritaka; getting an octagon handle adds another $20 above the standard D-shaped handle.
    ah, thanks for pointing that out i didn't realise they were #2 as that site is rather hard to navigate. certainly explains the large price difference! and yep, i happily paid the extra $20 for the octagonal handle, too hard to pass up a great handle for $20

Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    ....I just thought it was interesting that they would acknowledge this "defect" on their enclosed literature.They must have had some negative feedback from customers .....
    SHANKSTER: I don't think the wavy-ness referred to by Moritakas' packaging note is the same thing Dave is referring to, and I really don't think Moritaka is acknowledging a defect....if we were able to go back in time and review the 'conversation', Dave pointed out an apparent flaw on behalf of a customer, and Moritaka's response was more or less..."you're wrong - it's perfect"...and from there the whole Moritaka conversation went seriously south.

I'm actually suprised that Dave posted the link because of his past comments & concerns about the overgirnd issue and the relatively high defect rate. What is interesting to me though is that of the 4 different makers who represent this genre of knife maker (i.e. - the village blacksmith, Moritaka, Takeda, Watanabe and early Carter) this type of flaw is only mentioned in Moritaka's work