Quantcast
Moritaka on Rakuten International
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moritaka on Rakuten International

Moritaka on Rakuten International

I'm not a fan of these knives but lots of people seem to love them so I figured why not share this....

http://search.borderless.rakuten.com...akahamono&l=en

Looks like some good prices with international shipping options. I guess it's worth checking out if you're looking at these knives.

I'm curious...what don't you like about them? People seem to love Moritakas!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

They do some really bad bevel grinding which makes holes in the edge (not contacting the cutting board). The problem with this is that it often doesn't become a clear problem until after the first sharpening which by then is too late for the poor customer to return it. I think the reason why these knives have been so popular is because most people can't see the problems and they're cheap. I have recently seen a few good ones (new stock) so I'm hoping that there's a swing in the positive direction because as it's been it's been 7 out of 10 are bad.

You mean the edge of the knife (not the flat of the bevel, but the edge that touches the board) is wavy? I believe you when you say you've found it, I'm just curious about why one can't tell before first sharpening it. Does grinding the bevel when you first sharpen it make the inconsistency show up in some way?

Wow! That's some useful (and diplomatic) info Dave.
    I had no idea....
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    You mean the edge of the knife (not the flat of the bevel, but the edge that touches the board) is wavy? I believe you when you say you've found it, I'm just curious about why one can't tell before first sharpening it. Does grinding the bevel when you first sharpen it make the inconsistency show up in some way?

What happens is the maker grinds the bevels from the blade face down towards the cutting edge and stops just before he breaks into the edge. If he spends too much time grinding, or is heavy handed, in one section this is an overgrind on the side of the knife that extends down to the edge but because he stops short of blowing through into the edge it isn't seen. Now along comes the knife owner who removes metal at the edge through sharpening and he breaks through into the overgrind and the hole appears and does nothing but grow bigger from this point forward.

I own 3 Moritaka's and I haven't noticed any waves or holes in the edge of the blade.What I have noticed,on the gyuto and santoku,is that the heel of the blade is lower than the rest of the blade(I can see light coming through when I place the blade on a flat surface).It hasn't really affected the performance of my knives when chopping,slicing or chiffonade(no ribboning) Is there anything i can do to correct the problem with the lower heel?

Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    Is there anything i can do to correct the problem with the lower heel?
    Grind it down! Just take it to a DMT or other rough stone and work it, making sure to be spend as much time on both sides of the blade. This is really a minor issue, though it shouldn't leave a factory like that.

Personally, I'm stunned that they sell this prison shank for $125.

Thanks for the explanation, Dave. I think I'd get it better if I saw such a knife, but I get the gist of what you're saying. It's too bad, because these knives look really nice (like the Takedas but with better profiles).

Moritakas can be VERY good knives, especially for the price according to quite a few people I trust very much.
    However, Dave has seen a lot of knives and I bet a lot of Moritakas. I'm guessing when they're good, they're great, but if it's a bad one, you might not know until it's too late.
    Hopefuly they are turning it around, as Dave eluded to.
    09/06