Welcome aboard Dream Burls!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dave, and hello fellow knife knuts. You may know me as uptothehilt, but that going to change. I’ve been a member of KKF for the past 8 months. In that time I have come to realize and appreciate the high degree of knowledge, experience and wry humor that forum members have, as well as your strong sense of community.

Today I’d like to introduce you to Dream Burls (dreamburls.com), a new on-line store that features burled and highly figured wood turning blanks for Japanese style wa handles as well as other handle designs.

I’m relatively new to the world of kitchen knives. Two years ago for I went hunting for a new set of kitchen knives for my wife for Christmas. That led me to KKF and it didn’t take long before I knew I wanted a custom knife. (Yeah, my wife gets the store bought and I go for the custom.) Living in the New York area I reached out to Marko to make a knife for me. The search for the handle of my custom (a 225 mm gyuoto with an Arizona Ironwood D handle, ivory spacer and African blackwood ferrule) is what caused me to fall in love with burled woods. And that passion has solidified and grown.

Being retired, after 34 years of public service, I had been looking for something to sink my teeth into and satisfy my creative and productive side. After seven years of trying this, that and the other thing I finally found something that gets my juices flowing. So a few months ago I began to formulate a business model to buy, finish and sell wood for knife handles. The plan went into action mid-2012 and is now becoming a reality.

I will have some unique and diverse choices for your next knife handle(s) at what I think will be very competitive prices. While my inventory will be relatively small at first, I plan to bring more blanks and different species on line in the coming months. All pieces, other than natural hardwoods, will be stabilized by K&G, sanded to 120 grit and ready to go. The site is now live and I’d appreciate it if you’d check it out and let me know what you think.

Imagine the possibilities!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good wishes guys. I hope you like the site and what's on it. I love this forum and I hope I can be of service.

Nice website, I like the layout. Welcome aboard!

Thanks, Andrew. A lot of work went into it and it's nice to know it's appreciated.

Welcome, Myron -

I want to add that Myron has been to my shop many times and has even crafted one saya (so far) under my supervision. Hi is a fast learner. His ability to pick great woods is pretty obvious when you visit his store. Now you guys wine and beg him to start making sayas and maybe handles one day. Just sayin....

M

Welcome aboard.
and as Marko said,.......start making sayas.
I don't think you will ever be able to keep up with the demand.
Good luck and welcome to the world of weird wood.

Welcome Myron, best of luck to you.
I guess I really shouldn't welcome you, you've been around awhile.
Congrats on the new venture. The whole handle-making thing is quite addictive. I'm sure you will a big success.

It won't take too much arm twisting to get me to continue my saya lessons under Marko's watchful eye. And thank you both for your thoughts and welcomes. Mark, you've been sort of an inspiration for this whole thing. Visiting your site and admiring your wares stimulated a lot of my thinking. I still go there to get inspired.

Welcome Myron, best of luck to you.
I guess I really shouldn't welcome you, you've been around awhile.
Congrats on the new venture. The whole handle-making thing is quite addictive. I'm sure you will a big success.

My wife is a therapist if anyone needs (wants) help.

It is a lot of fun finding unusual wood and then getting to see what talented knife makers are able to do with it.
I think you will enjoy yourself.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the warm welcome - now go buy something.

Welcome! Good luck with the new shop. :)

I just had to buy something. Congrats and much sucess.

Many thanks Mike. You picked a good one. Hope you like it and come back for more.

Latest posts

Back