Quantcast
Good Fortune

Thread: Good Fortune

Good Fortune

I have the good fortune of getting 2 muscovy ducks, alive and kicking. I will be butchering them, but herein lies the question.....How long should I age the ducks before eating? Do I have to age them? Can I eat them right after butchering them?

You have to let them rest after processing. 24 hours should be fine, although I like 3 days better. Check when the legs/wings move freely and you'll be good to go.

I like to clean them and hang them with feathers on for 2 - 3 days before I skin them. If plucking would do so when cleaning them and then hang. I've had occasion to clean/prepare/eat them same day and they've been fine.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    I like to clean them and hang them with feathers on for 2 - 3 days before I skin them. If plucking would do so when cleaning them and then hang. I've had occasion to clean/prepare/eat them same day and they've been fine.
    I think I might go this route, only because I have very limited fridge space, and its not exactly cold outside,*Read highs of 8-10c*, and EXTREMELY wet up here in the Pacific Northwet. I want to wait the 3 days or so to let the meat rest, I hear it gets more and more gamey when it sits for a period before cooking.

now to debate all the dishes that can be cooked with duck