Quantcast
Beater/Sleeper knife
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beater/Sleeper knife

Beater/Sleeper knife

So, lately I've been hankering for a knife that I can leave on the line, not worry about someone picking it up and either taking it, or breaking it, but something that can still perform. My searching has so far led me to think that a Forschner may be best, but it just doesn't satisfy me. I've also been considering getting either an Old Hickory chefs from ebay, or a Forgecraft. (carbon isn't really an issue)

I'm sure some of you guys must have knives that would fit that criteria, what are they?

i say old hickory or forgecraft. =D

got one as beater and it's awesome. bough off the 'bay, a used one at that. i dunno if it's normal but i got one thinned and sharpened on the left side only so it was a great match and had to practically beat someone off with a stick from buying it.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    +1 to what franzb says. I've got a soft spot for Sab's too though. I guess it kinda depends on what you like in a knife. The Forgecraft would probably be the most nimble of the bunch though.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I have a 8" Forgecraft and it really is a tough knife that i have been using for anything that I would be afraid to use my thinner knives for. For carving I have a handmade Jeff White that came from ebay. Made of 1095 steel, convex edge, and is great on cooked or raw meat.

If not a Victorinox, I don't know... the Forgecraft/Sab will be gone if left there IMO. Those in good condition are keepsakes if someone figures out what they are about. I don't know if Old Hickory even has a chef's knife. Last I saw there was none but I could be wrong. I have their slicer, butcher and cleaver but never saw a conventional chef's.

For me, that knife is my Warther. It will get no love here, but it takes a good edge and retention is pretty dang good. Stainless so I don't have to worry about anything being left on it. Its thin with a sturdy tip and utilitarian handle. Not cheap, but not overly expensive either.

i bought mine as "vintage" on ebay, 10inch old hickory. yeah, most new old hickory knives don't include even a 7-8 inch chef knives.

here it is, this was before i thinned it up evening out whatever imperfections, oiling up the handle and waxing it.

will eventually have it rehandled by a local maker.

i was told it was near 60 years old.

hey kaeleb, what do you think of Warther cutlery's newer models in s35vn? they don't look too bad. interesting steel in a decent price.

Nice... looks like a Forge. That will grow legs if left alone.

THIS:

Chef Chuckles' answer to that same question. I think he said he got it from Lefty, dont know who did the handle but It's a resin and would combo and is surprisingly light. IMO I think it's pretty sweet and would defiantly take if I was looking to steal a knife, but I guess being known as a "nightmare clown" prevents people from messing with your stuff.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

The handle is Matt Stephens - Red Resin and African Blackwood coke bottle.

"Nightmare clown" - In HR terms means "I struggle with tolerating incompetence...... and don't touch my knives."

+ Reply to Thread