Beater/Sleeper knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm_magic

Reaction score
So, lately I've been hankering for a knife that I can leave on the line, not worry about someone picking it up and either taking it, or breaking it, but something that can still perform. My searching has so far led me to think that a Forschner may be best, but it just doesn't satisfy me. I've also been considering getting either an Old Hickory chefs from ebay, or a Forgecraft. (carbon isn't really an issue)

I'm sure some of you guys must have knives that would fit that criteria, what are they?

i say old hickory or forgecraft. =D

got one as beater and it's awesome. bough off the 'bay, a used one at that. i dunno if it's normal but i got one thinned and sharpened on the left side only so it was a great match and had to practically beat someone off with a stick from buying it.

+1 to what franzb says. I've got a soft spot for Sab's too though. I guess it kinda depends on what you like in a knife. The Forgecraft would probably be the most nimble of the bunch though.

I have a 8" Forgecraft and it really is a tough knife that i have been using for anything that I would be afraid to use my thinner knives for. For carving I have a handmade Jeff White that came from ebay. Made of 1095 steel, convex edge, and is great on cooked or raw meat.

If not a Victorinox, I don't know... the Forgecraft/Sab will be gone if left there IMO. Those in good condition are keepsakes if someone figures out what they are about. I don't know if Old Hickory even has a chef's knife. Last I saw there was none but I could be wrong. I have their slicer, butcher and cleaver but never saw a conventional chef's.

For me, that knife is my Warther. It will get no love here, but it takes a good edge and retention is pretty dang good. Stainless so I don't have to worry about anything being left on it. Its thin with a sturdy tip and utilitarian handle. Not cheap, but not overly expensive either.

i bought mine as "vintage" on ebay, 10inch old hickory. yeah, most new old hickory knives don't include even a 7-8 inch chef knives.

405123_10151098356577691_1008024320_n.jpg

here it is, this was before i thinned it up evening out whatever imperfections, oiling up the handle and waxing it.

will eventually have it rehandled by a local maker.

i was told it was near 60 years old.

hey kaeleb, what do you think of Warther cutlery's newer models in s35vn? they don't look too bad. interesting steel in a decent price.

Nice... looks like a Forge. That will grow legs if left alone.

THIS:
KKF%2520MSP%2520MEETUP-53.JPG

Chef Chuckles' answer to that same question. I think he said he got it from Lefty, dont know who did the handle but It's a resin and would combo and is surprisingly light. IMO I think it's pretty sweet and would defiantly take if I was looking to steal a knife, but I guess being known as a "nightmare clown" prevents people from messing with your stuff.

The handle is Matt Stephens - Red Resin and African Blackwood coke bottle.

"Nightmare clown" - In HR terms means "I struggle with tolerating incompetence...... and don't touch my knives."

A story about those Old Hickory chef knives. I was once in a commercial fish market in Tacoma and watched the butcher cut steaks from a large salmon by laying a long butcher knife on the fish and giving it a rap with a wooden mallet. Seemed like a good idea to me so tried it on my next salmon at home with a 10-inch Old Hickory chef knife. About the second steak, I found myself holding a handle with no blade on the other end. Broke right at the handle end of the blade.

A story about those Old Hickory chef knives. I was once in a commercial fish market in Tacoma and watched the butcher cut steaks from a large salmon by laying a long butcher knife on the fish and giving it a rap with a wooden mallet. Seemed like a good idea to me so tried it on my next salmon at home with a 10-inch Old Hickory chef knife. About the second steak, I found myself holding a handle with no blade on the other end. Broke right at the handle end of the blade.

That seems like a bad idea to me in the first place haha.

Keep the suggestions coming, I don't think a FC or OH would walk because the people I work with aren't interested that much in knives, Shun is the pinnacle of excellence to them. They wouldn't know what was in front of them with one of those.

Victorinox boning knife. I've had mine possibly longer than all my other knives in my kit. I don't use it a whole lot to be honest but it holds a nice edge and I just sharpen in on my Atoma 140

My sleeper would be one of Devin Thomas' Sabatier chefs. I would have it handled in ebony or more likely Mark's Bog Oak. Get it patina-ed and nobody would know what it was except you.

I just bought and sharpened this 9" Victorinox/Forschner chef knife for my mother, and I had a hard time handing it over. Very comfortable, nice profile, thin geometry and took a nice edge -- really can't beat this for the money. This one doesn't have a tall blade...it's like a hybrid between a gyuto and a suji.

http://www.knifeworks.com/forschner9chefsbladeblackfibroxhandle.aspx

A coworker of mine has a wooden handled version of that knife. It is my favourite knife in the kitchen that isn't mine.

A coworker of mine has a wooden handled version of that knife. It is my favourite knife in the kitchen that isn't mine.

I think I actually already have one of those. It was the first knife I ever bought, and I actually prefer it to most of my other knives. I just don't use it because I feel bad using a £20 knife when I have others lying around.

How would one go about re-handling a Fibrox Forschner? I've got no experience in rehandling at all. Are there any guides on here or something? If not, who's best to pm about getting some basic info?

Rehandlng a Fibrox Forschner? You could just buy the rosewood version they do for a little more perhaps? If you want to do a proper rehandle it's gonna cost you big bucks

I already have the knife, and it would be more a 'project'. I mean, for the price of the knife if it turns to crap I can bin it, or if it works I've got something..

Whats the tang like inside the handle?

I could just buy a Rosewood one, but I'd like to play with this one anyway, if possible ;)

I use either a Fordgecraft 8" or my current and most used it the Ikea VG10. Actually a great great knife. And only costs 50$. Takes a great edge for VG10 standards, a keeps it pretty much all week. Worth looking into

They won't get much love here but Global's knives are fairly hard steel and edge retention is decent. Used one happily as my beater for two years (now it's my wife's beater), only drawback really is the handle is metal so your hand can slip. Didnt encounter this problem very often though. The benefit to the metal handle, especially for a beater knife: if it falls, the handle is heavier than the blade, and it will fall butt first, saving your blade tip. The butt of mine, after a year of wifey's brutal use/misuse, is dented to hell--but the tip remains intact! Amazing grace... It still takes a good edge too. You could maybe find one online for $100; they list for around $125 new. A used one would probably be pretty darn cheap

my cck cleaver is my line knife at the moment. its about the same price as a forshner but a way better performer. its cheap enough that im not worried if its out of my site for a while.

I forgot to add my 2 CCKs. Love them. Not only my beaters, but my go to's as well

I already have the knife, and it would be more a 'project'. I mean, for the price of the knife if it turns to crap I can bin it, or if it works I've got something..

Whats the tang like inside the handle?

I could just buy a Rosewood one, but I'd like to play with this one anyway, if possible ;)
I rehandled a fibrox bread a while ago for PIF. If I remember correctly, the tang runs about halfway down the length of the handle. This is one of my ugliest rehandles. I used really cheap wood and basically used epoxy as spacers. FWIW, I think hidden tang westerns are pretty difficult to do unless you have the proper tools. Most of the handles I make somehow end up looking like some kind of goofy fishing lure or something.
Good luck.

I rehandled a fibrox bread a while ago for PIF. If I remember correctly, the tang runs about halfway down the length of the handle. This is one of my ugliest rehandles. I used really cheap wood and basically used epoxy as spacers. FWIW, I think hidden tang westerns are pretty difficult to do unless you have the proper tools. Most of the handles I make somehow end up looking like some kind of goofy fishing lure or something.
Good luck.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...ward-Knife-Kit?p=143112&viewfull=1#post143112

Those?

What kind of tools are we talking about?

Great to see Chuckles' Forgecraft is well-loved. Matt does great work!

Back