Help.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dream Burls

Reaction score
So here I am with a new start up business and I'm trying to figure out what kind of woods to get into the store that you guys will most likely want. So hey, why not ask you - what are your favorite woods for knive handle and what will you be looking to buy in the future? Thanks for the help.

FYI: I have some koa, satinwood, wild almond burl and buckeye in the hopper. It will take a couple of months to get them stabilized, prepped, photographed and on the site.

Wild almond burl?:doublethumbsup: Don't know what that'll look like, but sounds freaking cool!

It is. It's kind of a mottle figure with shades of green and purple. I'm waiting for it to dry then I'll have it stabilized, etc. Should be available in the spring.

MALAYSIAN BLACKWOOD EBONY, BLACK & WHITE EBONY, Spalted Hackberry & maching saya wood :D

Guess your're basically a black and white kind a guy. Thanks for the input. By the way, everyone, I intend to keep track of these and I'll publish a list of the top ten in a month or so.

I got some olivewood from Mark that is gorgeous. It has some spots that look like they are filled with resin or sap, something.........anyway, it's funky and beautiful. Oh and it smells like olives/olive oil when you sand it.
Awesome!

Olive burl, cocobolo burl and black ash burl would be nice.

Stefan

I'm most often asked to find ironwood (burl & straight grain), amboyna, buckeye, & koa. I'd like to see more of those as well as Honduran rosewood & thuya. I also love using maple because it finishes so nicely.

High grade ironwood burls, cocobolo, burls if possible. Ebony, heck it aint woods, but have you thought about synthetics? Carbon fiber, G10, polyester. Then a good stable supply of quality horn, and stuff for spacers. Why limit yourself to woods?

High grade ironwood burls, cocobolo, burls if possible. Ebony, heck it aint woods, but have you thought about synthetics? Carbon fiber, G10, polyester. Then a good stable supply of quality horn, and stuff for spacers. Why limit yourself to woods?

I'm not going to touch synthetics, not my area of expertise or appreciation. As for spacer, maybe I'll branch out someday, but for now I'm going to stick with the trees. Your other suggestion seem to be the favorites so far. Thanks for the input.

Guess your're basically a black and white kind a guy. Thanks for the input. By the way, everyone, I intend to keep track of these and I'll publish a list of the top ten in a month or so.
these are two most beautiful wood block I ever see in long time! simple & elegant!!
KGrHqJoIFCpUG0eeyBQ0lGrGuw60_57_zps8285cf9a.jpg

639877240_o_zpsffa67078.jpg

There was a piece of Malaysian Blackwood that I bid on a couple of months ago and didn't get. It was in this class, absolutely breathtaking. I was going to put in on the mantlepiece as a work of art. Still kick myself for not getting that baby.

Tricky stuff, though, that black & white ebony, very prone to cracking.

Stefan

snakewood, black palm, koa, buckeye, ironwood, almost anthing in burl... higher quality the better

Tricky stuff, though, that black & white ebony, very prone to cracking.
Stefan
Stefan put it nicely.
The block shown in the photo is end grain. Likes to crack.
Dry pieces cut lengthwise take stabilizing very well and are less prone to crack and warp.
If you can get more of the Afzelia XLay I would suggest that. Especially the high grade figured pieces.
The pieces with clean color and even figure on both faces sells for up to $600 a board foot.
High grade ironwood burl will sell almost as fast as you post it. I mean the real Desert Ironwood from Arizona and Mexico.

Like this Son?

This is my edc with pine cone:

IMG_0372_zps60d6c0be.jpg

Not necessarily stabilized so much are resin impregnated?

very similar but, finished the other way so that you can see the heart of the pinecone. This would make a pretty cool wa handle.

Like this Son?

This is my edc with pine cone:

IMG_0372_zps60d6c0be.jpg

Not necessarily stabilized so much are resin impregnated?

***! Thats awesome! I grew up around pine trees and throwing pinecones and making pinecone fires. That knife is frickin sweet.

Desert ironwood, cocobolo in all shapes and sizes, snakewood, walnut... not 100% in love with burls tbh(oh yes, I just said that).

Latest posts

Back