Getting a Masamoto KS from Rakuten?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bef

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading a lot about Masamoto KS Gyuto in the last days. This knife ain't cheap : ~$320-$350.

However, I had a look on Rakuten (the Japanese website), and searched for "masamoto-ks3124". I ended up on a page with what appears to be the same knife, but they sell it for about $218...!?

Has anyone tried to buy some "high-end" knives like the Masamoto from this site? Would you buy there with confidence?

I have bought Shigefusa from Rakuten. They are a reputable seller and there were no issues with my purchase. The hardest part is that most communication is in Japanese but is easily run through a computer translator. I would buy from them again.

Now that you have let the membership know about this fantastic deal, I would get on the site and buy one immediately. That is a heck of a deal.

DeepCSweede: Thanks. I've just placed my order. I'll see what happens now...

I'll update this post once I receive the knife.

Just did my taxes, and I've been wanting a KS for a while, so I snagged one up. Holy shite, I have almost no self control :)

Crap, two new gyutos this month means no KS for me, but what an exceptional deal! And Rakuten is very reputable, albeit a bit confusing at times.

Guys just remember that Rakuten is like Amazon in that it's just a website that let's vendors list and sell their products through so when you order you're dealing with the vendor - not Rakuten. So if you order three different knives you may be ordering from three different dealers. This is relevant in that it's not safe to say that Rakuten is reliable to buy from because one dealer might be where another might not be.

I've ordered quite a few stones through Rakuten over the years and never had a problem but once there was some communication issues and a double charge along with a very s-l-o-w shipment.

I just want to point this out for those thinking about purchasing through them. I believe it's relatively risk free but we should make note of the dealers used when making recommendations.

BTW, doesn't JapaneseChefsKnife sell Masamoto KS? I knew they used to have the yanagiba but I haven't looked in a long time and I'm to lazy to go there now too. :)

JCK does sell them, Dave. About $341 plus shipping and you get to choose the color of ferrule you want.

you can special order KS from Korin and get 10% off! last time Mari give me a quote around ~$285+s/h....if I remember it right!?

Guys just remember that Rakuten is like Amazon in that it's just a website that let's vendors list and sell their products through so when you order you're dealing with the vendor - not Rakuten. So if you order three different knives you may be ordering from three different dealers. This is relevant in that it's not safe to say that Rakuten is reliable to buy from because one dealer might be where another might not be.

I've ordered quite a few stones through Rakuten over the years and never had a problem but once there was some communication issues and a double charge along with a very s-l-o-w shipment.

I just want to point this out for those thinking about purchasing through them. I believe it's relatively risk free but we should make note of the dealers used when making recommendations.

BTW, doesn't JapaneseChefsKnife sell Masamoto KS? I knew they used to have the yanagiba but I haven't looked in a long time and I'm to lazy to go there now too. :)

I should have stated that Dave. I only figured that out on my last purchase through them and never really had noticed it before. I don't know if they have the same protection policy as amazon as I have never had any problems and don't read Japanese so haven't had to.

sometimes, but its more like a lot of the e-bay buy now thing... amazon is much more strict about its sellers than ebay

Nice to know, I have ordered twice and it was the same vendor Takashi though both orders were for Shig's. I was kind of picturing what Newegg has turned into, either way definitely appreciate the heads up as I would have considered them very safe. I guess the purchase still is as long as you use paypal?
Cheers

I got my sugimoto cleaver from the same vendor on Rakuten.
It was shipped though EMS and came in one week. No problems to report other then shipping was a bit more then expected ($30), he shipped the knife in a pretty large box. Took a week to get to Canada, pretty fast imho.

you can special order KS from Korin and get 10% off! last time Mari give me a quote around ~$285+s/h....if I remember it right!?

This is a great option IMO. I'd much rather deal with some one I know I can trust and count on.

got my hankotsu from mari of korin. and yes i'd rather spend a little extra on someone i know.

Just got an email saying they can't fulfill the order, bummer. If anyone is interested in selling one, send me a pm :)

Jay - I would call Mari, she should be able to hook you up with a discount and you know they are reliable. Was anyone able to get one through Rakuten?

Salty has commented that he's thinking about downsizing and he has a KS and honyaki; I'm sure the honyaki will be the keeper....I think it may just take a little bugging, since I don't think he's a fan of packaging and post offices in general...but I'd say it may be worth a try?

Any word from those who tried to get these through Rakuten?

What happened to this, guys?

My order was canceled a day after I put it in. I ended up getting one off a gracious forum member :)

It's back in stock!

Ordered mine (Masamoto KS Gyuto 240mm) on Sunday, and it was shipped on the same day (Monday in Japan).

Shipping price, going to Canada, was $22.

Some good looking deals on there - idly looking at sujihikis I found a Misono UX10 270mm for about $225, compared to $350 on JCK.

It's back in stock!

Ordered mine (Masamoto KS Gyuto 240mm) on Sunday, and it was shipped on the same day (Monday in Japan).

Shipping price, going to Canada, was $22.

How much did you pay? Link?

Back