Looking for something thin and hard!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RR13

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new gyuto, probably a 240. My go to now is a 240 Fujiwara FKM, and I love the weight (7.6oz) compared the the Germans I used to wield. I'd like to go lighter, but I'm open to options at the same weight also. I've even been toying with the idea if I would like a laser.

I'm looking for something with better edge retention though. I've been looking for something in tool steal, or similar hardness and edge holding ability. I'm stepping up a bit from the Fuji here. I don't want a pure carbon knife, as I do prefer stainless in a professional kitchen, but I am open to clad with carbon cores. I'm also open to Wa or Yo handles.

I ok with whetstones (getting better) so I do my own sharpening. Currently use an Imanishi 1K, 6K, various strops, and an Idahone fine ceramic rod. I don't mind having to do a little thinning, but I don't want something I have to make into a project.

Here's a few I've been eying:

Akifusa PM http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=85649
Wish it was a bit thinner and lighter

Carbonext http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html
Same, a bit lighter would be nice

Yoshikane Hammer http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=85676
Love the look, have heard it's bulky though

Kumagoro Hammer http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=84321
Love the look also, not sure of the weight, EE has the 180mm, 210, and 240 all listed as 4.64oz

Aritsugo A-Style http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo.net/aritsugu-astyle-240mm-blade-wa-gy240.html
Seems like the knife I'm looking for... but i don't think I'm up for the initial edge setting! Wouldn't mind running across one of these used.

I know there's others out there, and I'm welcome to suggestions. So anything out there you guys think would fit my wants? Thin and light, great edge retention, stainless or semi stainless.

out of those, the carbonext will be the thinnest. I'd check out sakai yusuke, gesshin ginga/kagero, and yoshikane kasumi if I were you. The yusuke stainless are a bit soft (HrC ~ 58), but you can pay the seller a small amount of money to bump it up to 60 or 61

Maybe the konosuke hd 240mm? What's your budget?

for low Budget, this is best thin & hard gyuto you can find: Kanetsune KC122, blue steel, BLADE THICKNESS : 1.5mm, weight :6.3oz. ebay price $92 incould s/h!!

none of the above qualify as thin by the standards of most here FWIW

Lol yeah I forgot I was in the land of lasers! Guess I'm not actually looking for thin by J Knife standards, just thinner and a bit lighter than what I'm using now. Something 7oz or below, spine around 2.5mm above the heel, and fairly thin behind the edge.

I've never owned a laser, but have been curious how much I'd like one. I've eyeballed the ******** Lasers and Konosuke's. I'm worried how delicate they will feel. I'm looking for a bit of a workhorse. Ideally, I'll probably end up with a workhorse and a laser eventually.

Budget I'd like top out around $300, but would rather be around $200.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll check those out!

Since you seem to be more in the middle as far as weight, have you seen Kochi at JKI? I had a V-2 and it was extremely nimble and very thin behind the edge--which imho is more important than spine thickness/thinness.

Gesshin Uraku is a step up fr. Fujiwara.Better steel,Not a lazor,but thin behind edge,A workhorse blade 155.00 wt. Saya.Sharpens up nicely & holds a decent edge.

As you said nothing wrong wt. having a workhorse blade & a Lazor Gyuto.

Honestly, if you want tough and GOOD stainless, I'd wait for Pierre Rodrigue's mid-techs. The grind is insane...am I supposed to know that? :D

Gesshin Uraku is a step up fr. Fujiwara.Better steel,Not a lazor,but thin behind edge,A workhorse blade 155.00 wt. Saya.Sharpens up nicely & holds a decent edge.

As you said nothing wrong wt. having a workhorse blade & a Lazor Gyuto.

The Gesshin's look pretty sweet, and as far as a laser, I think I'd pick up a Ginga over a Kono HD. And yeah Salty, I think I'm going to end up with a laser soon, but pick up something a little beefier first (can never have enough knives!). The Uraku fits right in what I'm looking for. Anyone know about the steel on this one? What kind, hardness, edge retention compared to other steels, ect.? Of course their out of stock, but I'm a patient boy.
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com.../gesshin-uraku-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html#

The more I think about it, I really want an Aritsugu A Type. The allure of the indestructible steel is killing me. I like the profile on the A Type a bit better than the Uraku also. A little less belly it looks like.

I have a Gesshin Ginga that showed up this last week and for a 240 it just feels great in the hand. For a larger gyuto I even used it to section oranges last night. Very nice grind that just falls through food. One of my main issues I have with some knives is if food sticks. Not so much on the GG so far. I went for the Blue #2 since carbon steels are fine with me since I'm only a home cook. So far it has not had much reaction to food as I thought it would. For hard use I have other knives that are more suited but they do lack the light weight and laser slicing that the GG has.

Had an interesting little moment the other night when wife peered on what I was reading so intently about and managed to glimpse this thread's title... Thanks Dave for the BIG, BOLD, CLEAR "Kitchen Knife Forums" title top of the page...

Had an interesting little moment the other night when wife peered on what I was reading so intently about and managed to glimpse this thread's title... Thanks Dave for the BIG, BOLD, CLEAR "Kitchen Knife Forums" title top of the page...

LOL! I actually thought about the title after I started this thread. I thought, "Nice one, way to start an impression in a new forum!"

Alright. You guys have me pretty much sold me a Gesshin Ginga for a laser. Looking at my other options in the same price range, it just stands out to me. I keep reading too many good things about it.

Thanks for all the input, and thanks for the welcome to the forum! :biggrin:

Back