Help...something special for 20th anniversary...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
I have a bit of an unusual request for you all.

This December is my 20th anniversary with my wife and I want to do something super-special involving a local restaurant (probably). Not sure what...maybe dinner in the kitchen, maybe participate in cooking something with the chef (bring my knife roll, etc.)...doesn't have to be a friday/saturday night when they would be slammed. Could even swing a week-day lunch maybe, or close the place down early. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get a chef interested in something like that? Limo to/from the restaurant, champage + wine, etc. I'm willing to pay a decent amount for their time/effort--about what I'd spend on a new knife and willing to give them a lot of room to make it interesting for them.

I have a reasonably equipped kitchen and could conceivably host something at the house if that opens up more options.

My wife doesn't share my interest in knives or the technical/performance aspects of cooking...at least not in the first person. She does, however, love food and appreciates people with big personalities...she is Italian afterall :D

Does anyone know anybody in the business in central Arkansas? Have any ideas for how to approach one of the local fine dining chefs? have any ideas for format/content?

Any ideas in general?

I've got a good bit of time to plan this and make it happen.

OK, just my opinion and not to rain on your parade, but...

I wouldn't think an anniversary celebration where she's sitting alone at a table while you're playing with the local chef would go over well. For a birthday if she's seated in the middle of things where she's an active observer and the star of the show who's catered to, maybe. Even then it could be touchy. An anniversary should be about the 2 of you TOGETHER--especially a significant anniversary like the 20th. If you're both seated in the kitchen getting served special little tidbits you can feed each other, great. Don't dump her off at a table alone, tho--leave the knives at home.

Like I said, just my opinion. Best thing to do would be run it by your wife and see what she thinks. Better no surprise than a bad surprise.

Sorry, I didn't communicate clearly. We would be together the whole time...she just wouldn't want to get her hands dirty cooking, but she loves to watch and talk about what's going on. This is probably the best design feature in our kitchen...the island cooktop has a bar on the opposite side. She sits there and drinks wine/reads magazines and chats with me while I'm cooking at home.

Couldn't agree with you more about celebrating it together, this is 100% about that...just trying to find a new way to do exactly that.

That sounds good,my sweety loves for me to cook for her,like to let her read or watch TV.Just do all your prep ahead of time,store it ,then you can put out your coarses quickly.Also you can spread out time between salad,apps.,main,dessert,drink a little wine & let her know she is appreaciated:)

first thing that comes to mind is do both. find a good local restaurant that allows dinner in the kitchen for the two of you and your closest freinds. give her a nice present in front of your friends.. week night is fine.
then .... on your anniversary night ,.. spoil her.. have the bubble bath ready .. serve her favorite libation and appetizers to her in the tub candles and such,,, cheese and tricuits with beer or champagne, olives, crudites, cheese. salty olives makes them dirnk more champagne [pays off later ] . followed up with her favorite meal served in front of the fire if you have a fireplace. and if your feeling really flush have something she would like to wear to give her when she gets out of the bath.. hanro of switzerland is nice but $$$ .. choclolate dessert ... flourless choc. cake ? whole point of this is to show your gratitude for her putting up with your shinanigans for the last 20 yrs. good luck

Just find a restaraunt that has a "Chef's table" with a prix fixe meal perhaps. Sit back, have some wine and enjoy.

Just find a restaraunt that has a "Chef's table" with a prix fixe meal perhaps. Sit back, have some wine and enjoy.

+1 If the restaurant has matching wines, even better and easier. If your wife has any allergies or things she doesn't like, however, it'll be good to communicate that the restaurant as soon as you make your reservation.

Back