what is AEB-L?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drumjockey

Reaction score
What is AEB-L? I see it on this forum a lot and have never encountered it before, and it seems a lot of you think highly of it. By the pics, it looks maybe semi-stainless (hope that little morsel of ignorance doesn't offend anyone TOO bad) and though I'm pretty sure there's a wealth of info on the subject somewhere in this forum, I can't seem to find it. Could just be a nasty case of forumfoolish... Please describe and maybe enlighten as to why people here seem to like it so much? Thank you!

aeb-l is a swedish stainless steel (not semi-stainless) that was originally developed for razors. With a proper heat treatment, it can be very fine grained, have good structural stability, and decent-good edge retention.

It's a finely grained stainless steel produced that properly heat treated has a nice balance of the things we look for in a kitchen knife. Edge retention, ease of sharpening,overall sharpness, toughness, reactivity or lack there of etc.

Isn't it quite similar to Sandvik 19c27 (isn't that also known as Inox?)?

There is a discussion about steels in my sub forum with a good bit of input from forum members called "what steels and why". I think it will help.

Hoss

Sandvik 13c26 is its closest, some say it's swedish equivalent.

This is on a tangent, sorry, but I've read somewhere that the Swedish steel in Sakai Yusuke is actually AEB-L. True or false?

just curious, do any makers use aeb-l in yanagi? I know most people shun stainless in single bevels, but aeb-l seems like a good steel to make a yanagi out of

Back