Quantcast
Chuckles Knife Day Camp

Thread: Chuckles Knife Day Camp

Chuckles Knife Day Camp

Want to post some pics to show the owners of knives in my care some of the activities I plan for them while they are away from home.

PIG DAY

Knives:
    Mario 260 Gyuto
    Fowler Honesuki
    Konosuke Fujiyama 210
    Tojiro Boning

Shots:
    Group Shot
    Separating Prosciutto
    Splitting Ribs and removal
    Pancetta ready for cure
    Coppa ready for cure
    Prosciutto ready for cure
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    How are the Fowler and Tojiro?
    What's the edge on the Fowler 70/30?
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

interested in the tojiro western boning's performance as well

I think the Fowler is single bevel although it looks like there is a tiny back bevel. First single bevel I've used. Not a ton of usage on the pig going to put it to use on poultry tonight. Feels great in the hand and cuts like crazy.

Tojiro is good. Handle gets slick with all the fat off the animal and blade is a little tall at the tip for getting into joints. Edge retention is better than Forschner and it cuts good enough. Don't know of a better boning knife but think this one is absolutely beatable. Would love to see a boning knife made out of a tool steel like O1 with a shorter Forschner type profile but I've got serious case of Champagne taste and beer budget.

Magic butchery wonderland. Man, those knives are not gonna want to go home after that. Thanks for the postcard though!

The Fowler is a single bevel and even has the hollow urasuki on the back. When I got it, it had a CRAZY, yanagi-like fine edge. I added a micro-bevel to the front to help strengthen the edge and then tired a slight micro-bevel on the back as well to make removing the burr easier and to add even a little more edge stability, -just until it gets some more use and sharpening and I can gradually increase the edge angle without having to waste/remove too much metal all at once.

Here's a video that I did awhile ago when I was playing with a hot vinegar etch / patina, but it shows the grind pretty well too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5B6Ily4J4c
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded