Ordered Shigefusa Kasumi, received Kitaeji???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1925

Reaction score
So this is strange. I received my 210mm Shigefusa kasumi wa-gyuto from Rakuten and it is definitely hon kasumi, but when I looked at it closer under my kitchen lights, I see these lines running through the entire blade of the knife, which look the same as kitaeji. What's going on?
imagegcsg.jpg
[/IMG]

Beautiful pattern you have. Congratulations and welcome to the Shigefusa's world of kasumi hidden beauty.

Yup, those are "clouds" (not kitaeji). Looks awesome. Lucky you!

Ok I read that other thread but I don't understand. Isn't it just a forge welded damascus cladding on the knife? That's not exactly rare. I'm obviously wrong but... Beauty knife though. I'm jealous

Ok I read that other thread but I don't understand. Isn't it just a forge welded damascus cladding on the knife? That's not exactly rare. I'm obviously wrong but... Beauty knife though. I'm jealous

I always thought that it was just impurities in the cladding steel.

i just recieved my first kasumi shige in 240mm and i def cant see clouds :/

I always thought that it was just impurities in the cladding steel.

Agree, though I'm not sure if it's impurities or an intentional effect he achieves somehow in forging. Definitely not kitaeji. My last couple of Shigs have had these patterns as well.

Agree, though I'm not sure if it's impurities or an intentional effect he achieves somehow in forging. Definitely not kitaeji. My last couple of Shigs have had these patterns as well.

My understanding of kitaeji, and any "folded steel damascus", is that the pattern is not visible until some form of finishing work it done--be it through natural stones or acid???

I doubt he would go through the process to create clouds when he already offers kitaeji. Maybe Maxim could chime in?

Those clods come up with low tem forging and quenching, as i been told, sometimes they are there sometimes not. And yes it is impurities in softer cladding.
Most of Shig have them just sometime more visible then other, I did try acid to bring them up but without luck
Best way to get them is with Jnats fingerstones, the higher the polish the more visible they become.

Those clods come up with low tem forging and quenching, as i been told, sometimes they are there sometimes not. And yes it is impurities in softer cladding.
Most of Shig have them just sometime more visible then other, I did try acid to bring them up but without luck
Best way to get them is with Jnats fingerstones, the higher the polish the more visible they become.

I read somewhere else (I think by Marko) that the NOS cladding is what produces the "clouds"--can you corroborate this?

Also, I'm now hearing that there are so-called "thin" Shigefusa's. What is considered thin in a 210mm knife?

No, Shigefusa uses new cladding now too and it have clouds too :)

About thinness, i dont know they all vary a bit

No, Shigefusa uses new cladding now too and it have clouds too :)

About thinness, i dont know they all vary a bit

Thanks. I really cannot believe how pronounced these "clouds" are--it seriously looks like a kitaeji pattern, but more subtle, and it covers the entire blade (sans the edge).

It's a pity I don't have the finger stones or skill set to refine the finish even further...

I ordered one petty120mm and one gyoto 240mm (Kasumi) more than three weeks ago. I think they are jammed at the border...(Montréal, QC.,Canada)...IF my knives are looking like yours, I will be very satisfied.(Sorry for my bad english,but I do my best).

I ordered one petty120mm and one gyoto 240mm (Kasumi) more than three weeks ago. I think they are jammed at the border...(Montréal, QC.,Canada)...IF my knives are looking like yours, I will be very satisfied.(Sorry for my bad english,but I do my best).

Good luck! Mine arrived really quick (4 days). My 240mm that I sold a couple years back didn't have these "clouds". However, this one was absolutely an impulse buy and I might just sell it (for what I paid of course) because I have a custom order coming up pretty quick. Beautiful knife though.

Most of Shig have them just sometime more visible then other, I did try acid to bring them up but without luck. Best way to get them is with Jnats fingerstones, the higher the polish the more visible they become.

Would you use fingerstones on a kasumi gyuto? Every one I've seen in the past few years has what looks like a 320 wet/dry finish applied lengthwise on the blade (at least I can match it perfectly with 320 paper). I can't imagine how fingerstones would work on that. Or maybe you'd have to polish it up to 2k and then use fingerstones. Sounds like a new video to me! :laugh:

I have a cure for the "clouds"..........Go use the knife!

Thanks. I really cannot believe how pronounced these "clouds" are--it seriously looks like a kitaeji pattern, but more subtle, and it covers the entire blade (sans the edge).

It's a pity I don't have the finger stones or skill set to refine the finish even further...
I have seen kitaeji Shigefusa and what you have on your knife is far from it.
I have a Yoshihide suji, with a lot of cloud but for sure not the same as kitaeji. Just giving you perspective.

Would you use fingerstones on a kasumi gyuto? Every one I've seen in the past few years has what looks like a 320 wet/dry finish applied lengthwise on the blade (at least I can match it perfectly with 320 paper). I can't imagine how fingerstones would work on that. Or maybe you'd have to polish it up to 2k and then use fingerstones. Sounds like a new video to me! :laugh:
the clouds start to show @600, but for best results got 1500 then use natural stone mud such as from the red or green aoto, and then some fingerstones.

I have seen kitaeji Shigefusa and what you have on your knife is far from it.
I have a Yoshihide suji, with a lot of cloud but for sure not the same as kitaeji. Just giving you perspective.

I know it's not kitaeji. However, the pattern is very similar. You only see it at certain angles.

Back