Wa-Petty comparisons: Help please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sambal

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my very old, very worn down by sharpening, German petty. I use the petty mostly for fruit and some small/finer cutting on veggies and that's why my initial selection are all stainless/semi-stainless. On my shortlist for a 150mm wa-petty: Konosuke HD, Yoshikane SLD, Heiji Semi-stainless.

I'd appreciate opinions and information on these in regards to:
* Steel
* Grind
* Edge retention
* Ease of sharpening
* 'Feel' as in ergonomics and usage

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Chefdog. It's a very good price I know but any other reasons you're getting the Yoshi instead of other brands? Is the Yoshi a thinner petty than say the Kono HD or the Heiji?

Last edited:
I'm buying it mostly because of the reputation of Yoshikane's SKD steel. From what I've read, it's a well done blade that should sharpen easily and yet still be almost stainless. It's definitely thicker than Kono, which will be very thin, and I beleive Heiji will be thinner behind the edge. I prefer a little more weight and stiffness so this should suit my taste. I've only owned a Konosuke gyuto, so I can't give any first hand experience regarding the petties, sorry.
I hope someone else will chime in to help.

I've done my homework and have read about SKD and SLD steels but in actual use would you say that the differences in edge retention and ease of sharpening and chipping are noticeably great?

I've done my homework and have read about SKD and SLD steels but in actual use would you say that the differences in edge retention and ease of sharpening and chipping are noticeably great?

Sorry, but as I mentioned above, I've yet to receive my Yoshikane, so I can't give any first hand experience, unfortunately.

Just Chat with Maxim at his website and he will answer all you questions :D

SKD will develop patina fast, SLD won't! SLD has better edge retention than SKD if I remember it right....I sold my SKD long ago and keep my SLD.

Back