buying advice, knife for brothers girlfriend

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

convis

Reaction score
I am helping my chef brother pick out a knife for his girlfriend for her birthday. He wants to buy her something that fits her knife preferences now; knowing what she likes, we've been looking at santokus in the 160 to 180 range. She cooks at the craft guild (she is a potter)where where she lives for 15 people 7-8 meals a week. Pinch grip, carbon is not an issue. she has a whetstone and a slight idea how to sharpen, but im sure my brother will be sharpening it for her for now. Any handle style is fine, Leaning towards wa. Quick search i came up with:
Hiromoto AS 160
Mizunu White #2 165
Sakai Ichimonji White #2 180
Sakai Takayuki Damascus(vg10)180

My first pick would have been Gesshin Uraku 165 but unfortunately that is out of stock. Im not super familiar with either of the sakai brands so any info would be helpful, in addition to other suggestions. Thanks.

THE SHORT
Price 130 max
160-180 Santoku
Carbon or Stainless
Wa or Western

I'd go the mizuno. I think that knife is a bargain. Very light, thin and nimble and takes a screaming great edge.

I'd second the Mizuno, but may want to go with the 180, mine (180mm) is 166mm heal to tip. Agree with Dusty, thin, nimble and takes a great edge.

Cheers

Good to know, Id pick the Mizuno too, but in the end its his choice. When i saw the price it made me wish that i wanted a Santoku.

Good to know, Id pick the Mizuno too, but in the end its his choice. When i saw the price it made me wish that i wanted a Santoku.

One other note on the Mizuno is that the wa handle is rather thin, may be perfect for his girlfriend, for me it means a chance to use some more of the wood pusher's stuff:D

That is perfect, she has absurdly small hands.

I suggest a 210mm gyuto. Ladies love em. I have gotten them for my wife, sister and mom and it's for sure the go to knife for mostly everything.

Fujiwara 210mm is about $80 carbon and stainless. Suisin inox 210mm is only like $120.

that was my first suggestion, he says she picks up a nakiri and or a petty. there usually an asai 210 and a misono ux10 210 on the rack at my brothers house, and shes never picked either. As much as i think she would grow to like using a 210 for its utility, she clearly likes smaller size. The santoku is a better present in his eyes.

Santokus do the trick for many people. I don't really get them, but they looks less intimidating, and have somewhat serviceable tips. Not a nakiri, then? Even I love a good nakiri.

He went with the mizuno. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back