Quantcast
Need Western Handles Input - Please Chime In - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Western Handles Input - Please Chime In

I still use a pinch grip on coke bottle westerns. I just don't choke up as much on the blade as I would with a wa handle.

The contours on the sides of the handle are way more functional than those on the top or bottom. Just a flare downwards at the butt is all you really need.

The Kramer, while large, feels okay when pinch gripping. But since there is no flare at the butt like a coke bottle, not as comfy or functional when pull cutting.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I like the downward flare at the butt, I think functionally it works a little like the contours. Do many makers use the coke bottle style handle? I can't recall too many apart from Hattori. Maybe I sound a little cynical but is it not true that these types of handles are partly popular because they look sweet? I might use my Hattori tomorrow to investigate

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I... Maybe I sound a little cynical but is it not true that these types of handles are partly popular because they look sweet?...
    They are harder to make and they have to be shaped by hand, so you won't see this type of handle on production knives too often. Hattori is an exception.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Also, want to add that hidden tang handles are harder to make than full tang handles.

Today is a day to give one a try and there will be some more coming in the next week or so, namely
    a bread knife and a scimitar with design help from JohnyChance. Stay tuned.

I tried comparing my Hattori FH to my Western Kono HD and to be honest I didn't notice much difference with the contoured handle. The way it swells out just back from the bolster feels quite nice for you pinky and ring finger, but I didn't notice a huge difference between the 2

Cool, thank you for chiming in.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I tried comparing my Hattori FH to my Western Kono HD and to be honest I didn't notice much difference with the contoured handle. The way it swells out just back from the bolster feels quite nice for you pinky and ring finger, but I didn't notice a huge difference between the 2
    I also have a Hattori FH gyuto, and while I love the texture of the linen micarta (especially with greasy or wet hands), I dont find the handle to be noticeably better in use. If you use a hammer grip, then you notice the nicely contoured handle. But I think people shopping for blades in this price range are more likely using a pinch grip, and in a pinch grip, there's no significant difference between the FH and the standard pakkawood handle on my Suien gyuto, other than the fit and finish.

FWIW: I think for western handled knives, especially knives for butchery tasks, that linen micarta is an awesome choice for scale material. I have no idea how easy it is to work compared to wood, but I'd love to have micarta slabs on all my working knives. No worries, and outstanding grip.

Marko, this is western handle made by Matt. it's very comfortable! the front end feel like wa-handle and the contoured handle fit my hand very well! use your D-handle's metal tip & Ferrule with western contoured handle on back sounds good ideal to you??

Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

+ Reply to Thread