Jumbo Stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSChief

Reaction score
Have been searching the web for larger water stones with minimal results, can find thicker items
but they are always std L & W. I would think a wider Longer stone would be More efficient

a stone 4" wide 12" long would cover a greater percentage of the Blade & longer strokes = fewer strokes

opinions ?

And has any one found a source for bigger slabs?

I believe Naniwa make large size low grit stones, but not sure if they are available outside of Japan.

naniwa does make a wider stone abt 4 inches across adn abt the same standard length of which I own one. abt 1000 grit.

I wld prefer a wider stone as to a longer stone for teh following reasons.

a)most of my sharpening on shorter strokes along the entire length of the stone. a Wider stone . A wider stone would increase the contact area and thus, I wharpen section by section of the knife. eg.. 2 sections as opposed to 3 sections on a narrower stone

b) longer strokes are for my final finishing adn it is only natural to be on a higher angle as the knife goes further away from you.

Naniwa too makes a round stone too of which I cant figure our the intended purpose.

BTW, my strop is abt 10 inches wide cut from a bigger piece.

Have fun
D

Back