Quantcast
Beginner sharpening kit
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner sharpening kit

Beginner sharpening kit

I have a set of Globals and 2 Tojiro knives, and I want to learn to sharpen these before I start to upgrade to a few good knives. I am just about to buy a Bester 1200 and an Atoma 140 diamond plate as well as a stone holder. I already have an 8x3 Coticule. Will this setup be enough to learn sharpening or will I need another stone, or anything else, for that matter? The Globals are less than a month old, and the Tojiros are over a year old. Never been sharpened.

Very good start

Rika 5k perhaps? Definitely a stropping solution is needed as well.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Rika 5k perhaps? Definitely a stropping solution is needed as well.
    I just wanna get started, and maybe buy a higher grit (4-8k) stone later on if that is feasible. Is the srtopping for polish or deburring? I have some strop leather and some chromium oxide powder hidden away somewhere. I am considering now the Sigma Select II 400 and 1200 grit stones. Dunno why, other than I like to be awkward. I also reallydon't like the idea of soaking the Bester for hours. I don't mind having to soak stones for a little while (up to 15mins or so) before use but I really think the soaking of the Bester would just vexx my head.

I don't know much about cocitules, about what grit range is it?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

blue belgian stones are around 4k range, yellow coticules are at around 8k range.

Fwiw i barely use my Bester preferring my Chosera stones.

For Chosera in Europe:
    edenwebshops.co.uk
    edenwebshops.de
    800 and 2 or 3k

Ben do you know if the Edenwebshps UK are good prices?

Chosera seem out of my budget, but I am looking at buying something to compliment the #1000 stone I have, and was thinking of ordering the JCK #6000 (£50) or something from the Eden site.

Problem is I don't really know what the difference is in any of them, why one might be better than the other etc.

On ebay I have found these, which all look decent and come as low as £35 delivered....

#6000 King at £35

Naniwa #5000 at £38.50 (but might be ebay bid war?)

King #6000 - £30 but again ebay bidding

Too much information!

The KING #6000 for £35 delivered looks like a very good price really. Would I be better off paying the extra £15 to get the one from Kiko, or will there be no difference?

Thanks

Robert

I was thinking about a grit to remove the 1k scratches and prepare for Cr2O3 or coticule. Therefore rather 3k than 6k, which is coming from the 1k too large a jump for most of us.

The 3k would be fine as a final stone as well.

The sites I mentioned use to have the best prices in Europe as far as I know. It may though be interesting to compare their £ and € prices and consider ordering from their German site.
    Would the Naniwa 3k SuperStone be an option? It's considerably softer and slower than the Chosera, but that may help you acquiring the right technique.
    Some time ago they sold the Chosera in half width as well. Price difference was some 35%. Especially for finer Chosera stones that may be a good option as they hardly wear. Ask for them.

I've no personal experience with the other stones you mentioned.
    Your prices were shipping included. Please remember the custom duties and handling charges involved with stuff from outside EU.

+ Reply to Thread