Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess That Price!

Guess That Price!

Hi,

some of you may have seen my thread about my upcoming J-knife baptism, and may be interested to know I went into a Japanese Knife shop in London today to see if I could have a hands-on with feeling the difference between some 210mm and some 240mm gyutos.

Brief trip was a success I think, with the 240s just feeling way too big for me, like I had a sword in my hand, and the 210s felt just about right. Whether I would quickly get used to a 240 was hard to tell, but they did just feel too large so I am pretty sure that is a decision made. To be fair on the salesperson, he did suggest the 210 was the way to go and that unless I was working with it every day as a chef it would take me a long time to get used to the 240.

So while I was there I took some notes, and wondered if you might like to play "what's that knife" and a little round of "The Price is Right" while we are there.

First up two photographs - name the knives and guess the prices. After that, see if you can guess the prices of the Misono UX-10 Gyutos they were selling (210 &/or 240), and also the same from the Misono "handmade" Molybdenum Steel series.... feel free to guess in dollars I will convert prices.

Knife 1:

Knife 2:

Good luck!

Robert

First one is a kikuichi, either carbon elite or TKC. I don't know much about Mcusta, never seen one in person.
    I'd bet they were asking $350+/- for a 240 UX-10...

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    First one is a kikuichi, either carbon elite or TKC. I don't know much about Mcusta, never seen one in person.
    I'd bet they were asking $350+/- for a 240 UX-10...
    The characters seem exactly the same as for the TKC. The man in the shop told me that it was carbon and therefore would rust quickly. I nodded and said something about how did he mean it would develop a patina, and he had no idea what I was talking about, like I was retarded or something. "A patina" I said. I said it about three times and even said something like "a reaction the steel will have after say cutting a tomato or a lemon". He nodded sagely and said "A pattern?"

Huge & very annoying irony here is that I am probably in the market for a Carbonext, which I understand is pretty much the same knife. If I had clocked that, I would have paid a lot more attention to it. As it was I was just thinking about how it felt to hold and use (YES THEY HAD A TOMATO THAT I WAS ALLOWED TO CUT!!) so didn't pay too close attention to much past that.

RE: the UX-10 price. HIGHER!!!! [Not even close]

240mm ux10 should be about $330 retail price + tax charg=$425+/-......
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    240mm ux10 should be about $330 retail price + tax charg=$425+/-......
    HIGHER, HIGHER!!! [still cold]

I think you can see the line were the stainless bolster joins to the carbon blade on the kikuichi. I'm guessing carbon elite. The price should tell...closer to $125- carbon. TKC- much higher....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    The price should tell...closer to $125
    "LOL", as the kids say.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    HIGHER, HIGHER!!! [still cold]
    there is no way more than $525. ux10 is great knife but not that great!! they are rip you off...I rather go for Custom-made gyuto
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

It doesn't look like TKC finish to me.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Holy crap - you can get a 210 UX10 from Rakuten for $162 USD.