Sushi Roll Techniques, Tips, and Advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Nguyen

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

A while back I made a thread about convenient foods to carry to school. I've been making some simple rolls here and there, but I'd like to ask you guys for miscellaneous tips/advice. I'm kind of slow and sloppy, and I practice, but you experts must know some secrets.

Thanks!

I'm an by no means an expert, more of a well intentioned novice. But the simplest thing to me is to not use too much filling, rice, vegetable, fish whatever roll your making less is more so you can keep it tight and neat.

I'm an by no means an expert, more of a well intentioned novice. But the simplest thing to me is to not use too much filling, rice, vegetable, fish whatever roll your making less is more so you can keep it tight and neat.

+1
I'm always guilty of over stuffing and making a mess.

I always seem to make a mess regardless.

Is there a specific type of seaweed I should be getting?

any sushi seaweed will do(you can bake seaweed about 10~15 seconds for best taste) and make sure use "sushi rice" not "plain rice"!!
sushi rice:
2 cup short grain rice
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
then add any ingredients you like: egg, cucumber, grilled fish, shrimp, crab meat, asparagus, fish egg...etc.
homemade Hana sushi:
gy42-069a_zpsac4a9e36.jpg

There are a few threads with my rice and su recipes. Check em out. Also, watch youtube vids then you too can make something like this...

Tasting Menu 8.12 008.jpg

create your own design Hana sushi:tease:
6375641353_28ae4ce986_zpsf7dbb558.jpg

Those look awesome!

Rick, I am definitely checking those out. Thanks!

Those look awesome!

Rick, I am definitely checking those out. Thanks!

I don't mean specifically mine, really just any videos on the subject. There's some great stuff out there.

Back