Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deba advice

Deba advice

Is a 210 deba too big to use for small-med sized fish? Say the usual snappers and seabreams you see for sale in the market...not sure how much those fish weigh...but that size.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    Is a 210 deba too big to use for small-med sized fish? Say the usual snappers and seabreams you see for sale in the market...not sure how much those fish weigh...but that size.
    shouldnt be.. i prepped quite a few sardines yesterday with a 210 deba and those are tiny and quite fragile. seabream and snappers should be perfectly fine for that if not ideal

You can certainly use a 210, but you don't need anything that big. Technically a 150 or 165 would do for the typical snappers and sea breams you see in markets. That's going to be a little small for something bigger like whole salmon, but then snappers and sea breams are a lot smaller than salmon
    Len

I use one all the time.

Nah mean?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I always think 210 is a great size for deba. Should be just fine for a snapper but can also do salmon without any issues. And for small fish like mackeral or sardines... Well, I just use my petty for those, LOL.

I was thinking about adding a Fujiwara FKM 150mm Deba to an order I am about to place at JCK.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this knife? I would mainly be buying it to use on small to medium size fish, but wondered if it could be used for any other jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    I was thinking about adding a Fujiwara FKM 150mm Deba to an order I am about to place at JCK.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this knife? I would mainly be buying it to use on small to medium size fish, but wondered if it could be used for any other jobs.
    I don't have personal experience with Fujiwara deba, although I bought my mom 210 gyuto and its a good knife and a super value. By reputation only, I would expect Hiromoto to be a better quality knife, and JCK just happens to have a 170 western deba in stainless: http://japanesechefsknife.com/Page4.html Just another option to confuse you. It looks like the Fujiwara is a single bevel, while the Hiromoto western deba should be double beveled. If you're looking for some versatility, the double bevel knife will be much better at other tasks.
    Good luck.

Both the Fujiwara and the Hiromoto are double bevelled, and asymmetric.
    The Fujiwara comes with a more extreme asymmetric edge. This doesn't make it a single bevel. A single bevel has a concave left side. An asymmetric double bevelled blade has a flat left side.
    I wonder what the advantage is of a western deba over an equally heavy European chef knife. For heavy task the softer steel of a European chef blade could be an advantage IMO.

Not looking for great versatility, just wondering if the FKM Deba would be useful for anything else apart from prepping fish.
    Does fact it is not single bevel make it less of a knife, Deba-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by phan1 View Post
    I always think 210 is a great size for deba. Should be just fine for a snapper but can also do salmon without any issues. And for small fish like mackeral or sardines... Well, I just use my petty for those, LOL.
    I was thinking same thing, until I used 18cm and paired longer mioroshi with it.
    A winning combination.
    Still like the 21 though.

Slowtyper, depending on how much fish you are going to be preparing, 18cm would be enough just for breams sized things.