Quantcast
A few questions before I put myself in pain. Aritsugu A-Type - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A few questions before I put myself in pain. Aritsugu A-Type

The late KC Ma had an A-Type that he put a 99/1 bevel on. Another experienced sharpener called it "easily the sharpest knife I've ever encountered." When asked about steering, KC said

steering is really not a knife related question, it's a knife skill issue. knives don't steer, if you want it to go straight, it'll go straight. point in case... usuba have bigger bevel than any gyuto and it cuts down straight too

May he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    .......steering is really not a knife related question, it's a knife skill issue.
    It's like saying my car hasn't got a steering issue provided I use my skills through have the wheel at 3 O'clock all the time.

.......knives don't steer, if you want it to go straight, it'll go straight......
    As a lefty having to use right handed bread knives all my life I can assure you that is not the case. My slices of bread never really look good. There's a reason with handed knives that one side of the knife's flat (or convave as is the case with an usuba) and the other side isn't.

......usuba have bigger bevel than any gyuto and it cuts down straight too......
    Mine doesn't!

I have used knives that steer and it's pretty easy to get used to them after a little while. As for the A-Type, I used one that belonged to a fellow forum member a while ago that had a lot of work put into it and it was awesome, one of the 2 or 3 best knives I've ever used. The edge retention was insane and the weight and profile are both great

And you're a lefty...

HEY MEMBER WITH THE LEFT-HANDED A-TYPE...can I try too?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    And you're a lefty...

HEY MEMBER WITH THE LEFT-HANDED A-TYPE...can I try too?
    +1. also a lefty, ive been uncertain if they would work for me. sounds like it could. i might talk to aframes about this...
    Last edited by labor of love; 02-05-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: im a poor speller

I, too, was thinking of KC when I read this thread.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

so aframes told me their a type wa gyutos have a 60/40 grind, for those interested.

I shall leave it to the mystery member to reveal themselves. I thought a few times about getting an A-Type myself because they are actually pretty cheap, but I'm basically working 6 days a week now and I'd never have a chance to do the work needed and I guess you should probably add the cost of a new diamond plate onto the price.

so aframes told me their a type wa gyutos have a 60/40 grind, for those interested.
    That's interesting. Ordered mine from aframes today. I'll post some pics when it arrives.

Received my A-Type 240 Gyuto from aframestokyo yesterday. Four days from Hawaii to Florida, not bad. Here's a couple of pics on how it arrived out of the box, sharpened by Takeshi Aoki at aframes. In an earlier email, he said he sharpens them at 90/10, 30 degree right hand bevel. I'm not good with guessing degree's, but I think the A-Type will be getting a little steeper edge in the near future. I'm pretty happy with what he sent me though. The 240 is thinner than I thought it would be, and I'm not going to have to remove as much material as anticipated. I've read the horror stories about how bulky the are, but I think that mainly applies to the 270's. BTW, it came sharp enough to shave my arm hair, and push cut paper. I'll put it through some food tomorrow, just to see how it wedges and all with this bevel.