Quantcast
A few questions before I put myself in pain. Aritsugu A-Type - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A few questions before I put myself in pain. Aritsugu A-Type

lefty here too. lefty love on here! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    And you're a lefty...

HEY MEMBER WITH THE LEFT-HANDED A-TYPE...can I try too?
    Sure you can, shoot me a pm...

I'm a little confused here, can someone explain to me what the problem with these knives are? If they are so problematic, why get one?

I'm a little confused here, can someone explain to me what the problem with these knives are? If they are so problematic, why get one?
    The steel used on the A-Types is known to be very tough, without being to hard or brittle. HRC around 59-60. This gives an edge this is extremely resilient, chip resistant, with incredible edge retention. The problem is they usually come unsharpened, with a lot of thinning needed, and are stupid hard to grind... as I'm about to find out.

Yes the edge retention of these knives is legendary. I believe Dave doesn't accept these for thinning any more, which should give you an idea if the difficulty involved

If they come unsharpened, whats all the stuff I'm hearing about them being extremely asymmetric?

Quote Originally Posted by rdm_magic View Post
    If they come unsharpened, whats all the stuff I'm hearing about them being extremely asymmetric?
    The left side of the knife is pretty flat I believe, so lefty A-Types are very rare. Brandon at FF modded his to a lefty version, here's a few pictures. Perhaps other members who own them could add their views because I used one for a couple of months and I didn't do any of the thinning or modding

the grind could possibly be asymetric. thats the problem for lefties

So, for a leftie what would be involved in readjusting one of these?

Regrinding the bevel, reversing the flat and convex side, along with masses of thinning?

I recently had an A-type that I heavily worked on. I first tried to do it by hand and could get it slightly thinner and sharper, but it wasn't great. Next, I took it to someone who is a vendor here and we reground it completely; it is now actually a great knife with all those quauities of edge retention and toughness while being a good to great cutter. There is no way I could have done this by hand, so a knife grinder is mandatory