Difference between Sabatiers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just recieved a Lion brand carbon sabatier 10 inch chef knife, after I ordered it I found another local online retailer selling the K- sabatiers for a similar price. Given that I will round the spine, grind back the bolster and thin behind the edge, is there a significant difference between the two? Is one better than the other? I can return the Lion for no penalty.
Thanks for your time

BDL certainly knows more about Sabatiers than anyone I've ever come across on the Internet....or anywhere else for that matter. He knows a bunch, but he won't BS you....If he doesn't know, he'll say so.

if memory serves BDL spoke highly of the k sabatier carbons, especially their P.O.M. handles. also the thiers issard sabs at the best of things website. personally i like hunting for vintage sabs on ebay.

if memory serves BDL spoke highly of the k sabatier carbons, especially their P.O.M. handles. also the thiers issard sabs at the best of things website. personally i like hunting for vintage sabs on ebay.

Love the nogents, but personally hated the POM handles of the K-Sabs. Nogents are tricky beasts though--once you get one you like, you will love it. Know nothing about the Lion, sorry.

Thanks guys, I think I will return the Lion, I can't find much info on them online, and the F&F is a bit iffy, so I will give the K-Sab a go, there seems to be quite a positive view of these.

BDL pops up occasionally here on the forum...maybe this thread will get him out of the shadows...

I would say a lion is by far cooler than the letter k, but maybe that only matters in my strange little world.

I have elephants but the only way to tell anymore is by the handle. Lion's are pretty cool though.

First of all, I'm quite prejudiced where Lion Sabatier is concerned because of their notorious weak stainless steel in the past, and their introduction of a China-made "2 Lions International" brand.
The only way to know is by sharpening and seeing what kind of edge it takes and holds. That won't be compatible with the seller's return policy though.

Latest posts

Back