Thread: Making your own glass blanks for edge pro

Making your own glass blanks for edge pro

I wanted to try some of the 3m high grit films for polishing and I had already cut 2" aluminum blanks from stock to glue them onto. But then I got to thinking wouldn't it be cool to make my own glass blanks for them like the stock EP ones uses for its polishing tapes that retail for $12 each.

Turns out to be trivial and inexpensive to do: I called a couple of my local glass companies to ask about getting 2x6x1/4 seamed edge glass "tiles" and the first thing I learned was how much price will vary for something simple, but unusual like this. The difference between the cheapest ($2.50 each) and most expensive ($6 each) was pretty mind boggling. Anyway, using my now trusty can of 3M Super 77 adhesive, it was trivial to glue the glass blanks to the aluminum and then I used a repositionable adhesive to attach the 3m polishing film to the now ultra smooth glass blanks. Seems to work just fine on my edgepro and now I have the full range of 3m films listed on the grand unified grid chart on wider *glass* blanks. The sheets ran about $1.50 each and I got six 2x6 out of each sheet so for about 1/3 the cost of of a single packet of polishing tapes and glass blank, I got a much better polisher I think!

When the films wear down you can spritz them with diamond/CBN/BC etc and use them as strop as well. You may want to look for a 12x12 sheet of float glass and cut your own as you can make any size you want.

How do you like the 2 inch wide glass blanks vs the 1 inch? I can see where both could come in handy.

I prefer the two inch blanks for polishing as the stroke is so light. For general sharpening I haven't decided whether I like the 2" or 1 in wide more. MY DMT dia sharp stones are the only 2" wide stones I have currently and they are in a class by themselves so it is hard to see but for polishing I definitely prefer the two inch wide glass blanks over the one in wide edge pro polishing tapes.