Quantcast
which kitchen knife should I buy?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which kitchen knife should I buy?

which kitchen knife should I buy?

Hi everybody.
    my name is Dan. I am relatively new to kitchen knives (but I have some experience with straight razors and honing them)
    I want to buy myself a chef knife or gyuto for general work.

I already have a Tojiro Shirogami nakiri and I like the edge it takes but it goes dull too fast and it a generally delicate knife (I am worried to chop through harder foods)
    the carbon steel also can rust really easily and I have to be really careful with it.

which knife do you recommend that is hardier than the one I have and holds a better edge? I will keep my eyed peeled in the classifieds section I prefer buying a used knife.

I pull the knife towards myself when I am cutting and I push down. I don't use the rocking motion often.

Thanks for your help
    Dan

Greetings Maestro!

Might be best to start with this questionnaire.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Thanks!

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?

chef knife /gyuto

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?

I only have one nakiri knife, I need a chef knife with a pointy tip

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics- I don't care about aesthetics that much
    Edge Quality/Retention- it is very important to me, my Tojiro carbon knife does not hold the very sharp edge for too long
    Ease of Use- ease of sharpening is very important. 50/50 bevel is essential.
    Comfort- is good to have but I don't use the knife for long periods of time because I am not a professional cook

What grip do you use?
    pinch grip

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
    pull knife towards myself and slice

Where do you store them?
    in knife drawer

Have you ever oiled a handle?
    no

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?

I am using glass cutting board I know it is not the best option, I want to get plastic

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?

I use synthetic 1k ,4k and 8k Norton waterstones. sometimes I use Ozuku kiita japanese stone for finishing the edge

Have they ever been sharpened?
    I sharpen the knife pretty often because it does not hold its edge that well

What is your budget?

under $200

What do you cook and how often?

different types of food, I chop onions potatoes, leeks, mushrooms, butcher chicken, cut meat, etc

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?

I want a knife that gets an edge as good as the Tojiro shirogami nakiri that I already own, but holds it longer, is more resistant to rusting, and can take some more beating.

semi stainless ok for you? or stainless?

what cutting board do you use? wood? plastic? glass? stone?

in that drawer where you keep it, does it bang around with other knives? do you use a knife sheath or an edge guard of some sort?

I use glass cutting board right now but I want to buy plastic one. I heard glass dulls your edge quickly.

no in the drawer the knife stays comfortably. it is only the knife and my 1k stone I keep handy for touching the edge.

Go for a wood cutting board (preferably end grain maple) first. This will save you a lot of grief and will make your edges last exponentially longer. Then I'd look at the sakai yusuke stainless. Ask the seller (bluewayjapan) for a knife with an increased hardness.

Welcome aboard!

I cringed when I read the glass cutting board. No wonder your edges do not last very long. I use a large end grain maple for larger jobs, and epicurean boards (some kind of press material) for quick ones. I am sure you will get a lot of suggestions, though the end grain wood will prevail.

glass will kill any knife edge. wood or plastic will make your edge last way longer. wood is better. =D

this is why we should include the questions i added into the stock questions. =D

on the rust issue, read up or watch youtube on how to care for carbon steel knives.

My Kikuichi Warikomi Elite chef's knife is a little more than your desired $200 budget but it holds its edge very well through constant use with approx. monthly sharpenings & minor realignment on a simple $11 ceramic rod; is stainless with western-style handle; and takes a beating without chipping no matter what i am cutting, though I 'm not ripping through bones with it. Not a lot of Kikuichi love on this forum (to be fair, I haven't seen any Kikuichi hate either but I really like this knife for constant use with great edge retention, minimal worry and minimal upkeep. Wasn't sure about it when I bought it, had heard mixed reviews about Swedish blade steel, but it really grew on me and now it remains my go-to even though I own 'nicer' knives
    Restaurant Murphy's Law 101: If you have 5 and don't prep any, you'll sell 6. If you do prep some, you'll sell 4

All I use is a 5000-grit ceramic waterstone and the cheapo ceramic rod, btw
    Restaurant Murphy's Law 101: If you have 5 and don't prep any, you'll sell 6. If you do prep some, you'll sell 4

+ Reply to Thread