Sujihiki... questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMJones

Reaction score
I know that the suji is basically the western version of the yanagi and is primarily a slicer. My question is what makes a good one? Grind, thickness, profile, length ect?

I know that the suji is basically the western version of the yanagi and is primarily a slicer. My question is what makes a good one? Grind, thickness, profile, length ect?

It is not the same profile, at least the ones I have used aren't. Not to say they can't be...

I have used about 15 different sujis over the years and the best one I have used to date was TK59's Devin. It was thin, thin behind the edge and had a shape that worked well in elongating your cut. It wasn't too flat on the edge so it clunked on the board, nor was the tip too high that you couldn't cut through the tip without it being awkward. Someplace in between.

Funny you should ask, I just posted about this exact topic this morning at ff.

Here was my response, keep in mind that most will probably differ from my opinion. I seem to be the odd one out on what I like...

Height-although I prefer my sujis taller, I like my chef knives more so. To me a suji needs to be at least 35-40mm tall. I have larger hands and still use either a handle hammer grip when slicing or light pinch grip for multi use so the extra height helps me from having to change my grip to avoid board contact.

Balance-I prefer my chef knives balanced at about 3/4 inch in front of the bolster, but my sujis I prefer to be substiantially more blade heavy with the balance point at a good two inches and beyond.

Grind-this is where I will differ alot from other guys, I like my sujis convexed closer to the edge, at least the bottom 1/3 of the blade. This is counter intuitive because everyone else will say, thin, thin, thin, but my two best performing sujis have convexing near the edge making them thicker, (not fatties, but healthy)(Think of the edge more like a Lolo Jones or Hope Solo, as opposed to an Kate Moss)but imo better cutters for protein slicing, albiet less so for multi purpose.

Funny you should ask, I just posted about this exact topic this morning at ff.

Here was my response, keep in mind that most will probably differ from my opinion. I seem to be the odd one out on what I like...

Height-although I prefer my sujis taller, I like my chef knives more so. To me a suji needs to be at least 35-40mm tall. I have larger hands and still use either a handle hammer grip when slicing or light pinch grip for multi use so the extra height helps me from having to change my grip to avoid board contact.

Balance-I prefer my chef knives balanced at about 3/4 inch in front of the bolster, but my sujis I prefer to be substiantially more blade heavy with the balance point at a good two inches and beyond.

Grind-this is where I will differ alot from other guys, I like my sujis convexed closer to the edge, at least the bottom 1/3 of the blade. This is counter intuitive because everyone else will say, thin, thin, thin, but my two best performing sujis have convexing near the edge making them thicker, (not fatties, but healthy)(Think of the edge more like a Lolo Jones or Hope Solo, as opposed to an Kate Moss)but imo better cutters for protein slicing, albiet less so for multi purpose.

and what he said...!

Ya I agree a taller suji is preferable to me.

Flat but enough to rock slightly.

Grind should be to where little stickion happens.

Also very thin behind edge, slightly flexible but not too much

How you guys feel about weight? Laser monosteel or sanmai with something to it? Asking more about a longer protein slicer (~270-300) than some of the 210's you guys use on the line.

Thanks

I have a 38mm 270 suji being made as we speak, with a slightly oversized handle...so I agree with Matt, quite a bit. But, I like thin. :D

What are preferable thickness of the spine at the heel and near the tip. Also what about distal taper? Aggressive, gradual...ect?

Best Suji I've used is my Carter. It's thin, thin and thin with an edge that cuts amazingly well. It's a totally efficient knife and very well thought out.

my experience here is limited to the gyuto/suji hybrid I have. the things I like most about it are the very pointy tip profile, length (270, 300 wouldn't go amiss), and the strong distal taper.

that's my $0.10...not worth much, but surely more than 2 cents!

Back