Quantcast
The Mind of a Chef - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Mind of a Chef

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    In a slightly different direction, I understand members not wanting to go to a restaurant that has wronged one of our members here. I can understand that, but for the most part I can't say that a person behaving badly is going to keep me from their restaurant unless it reflects in the overall quality of their food -- unless they went all Michael Vick on us and started dog fights. I assume that in most restaurants I eat there are chefs, sous chefs, pastry chefs etc who are douche bags. Just as your bank manager might be a dick head, and your dentist might beat his wife.

Just throwing that out there.

k.
    That's why I said, go to his restaurant and eat his food.
    My issue is personal not professional.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    That's why I said, go to his restaurant and eat his food.
    My issue is personal not professional.
    Sorry Son, missed that reply.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

on the issue of food being "his". didnt chang just popularize a bunch of stuff that was around already? i could be way off base here, but every now and again even in his momofuku book he will admit hes just ripping off something some noodle shop was already doing down the street. i look at chang and i see a guy who just built a sucessful name brand, and the intrigue behind his "bad boy" image partially fueled his sucess. that being said, i really do like his cookbook.

After watching four or so episodes, I must say that I really like the format, but -- having said that -- I am also a bit less impressed with David Chang. Half the time he looks stoned, drunk, or both. And in most of the episodes there is invariably one shot of him with a vacant look on his face where -- how should I say this -- he looks borderline learning disabled.

He also tends to make broad statements that are kind of stupid IMO. He hates beets because of the '90s beet salad cliche. Then as Chef Daniel Patterson makes an interesting beet dish -- Chang flies in with his wisdom and offers this: "So, you are taking beets to a level." It sounded so stupid that I rewound it for my wife.

Oh yeah, he also hates turkey because -- admittedly -- 90% of Americans mess it up, and he also hates chicken soup. I can understand having a negative gut reaction against these dishes that define American food mediocrity, but making pronouncements that imply you have given up an an ingredient or style of food seems somewhat silly.

I guess I find the other chefs on the program more interesting: Patterson, Sean Brock, Wylie Dufresne to name a few. Of course, in the Kentucky episode he was drunk, and I thought that was pretty funny at times. The egg episode was cool too I thought.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

This subject is almost too complex for me to comment on. I've composed three posts and deleted each one of them before saying "I give up".

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    on the issue of food being "his". didnt chang just popularize a bunch of stuff that was around already? i could be way off base here, but every now and again even in his momofuku book he will admit hes just ripping off something some noodle shop was already doing down the street. i look at chang and i see a guy who just built a sucessful name brand, and the intrigue behind his "bad boy" image partially fueled his sucess. that being said, i really do like his cookbook.
    I like the cookbook a lot as well, but aboslutely do not come to the same conclusion you just did. In the book he lists where inspiration comes from, or what he ripped off. But much of the book is about innovation and how things came to be. Much more of the book is like that, than "steamed buns are good with meat..duh".

fair enough.

I got my dvd of this series today.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    I've been a chef, and a cook, and a baker. One thing that really bothers me is when I hear cooks call themselves chef. Chef is a position of authority, not only meaning you cook. My "chef" is chef in title only. He doesn't act like one, can't run his crew (luckily I don't answer to him, I'm my own boss) and can't handle the stress. He fell into the position when the old chef (a real one) moved on, but instantly started calling himself chef to everyone. Call me an ass, but I don't call him chef, and won't until he earns it. In his case, that probably won't happen.

This actually does relate to the original topic. I saw a authors at google interview with Chang the other day, after reading this thread, and he did have that attitude he didn't have to really work anymore. As a comparison, the complete opposite of Keller. I've known cooks that have worked with him, and said if he was in town, he would be right there in the kitchen, guiding, mentoring, and helping out. Even went into the dish room to help when it got busy. To me, that's the sign of a real chef.
    I so agree with all of this post! One of my new guys calls me chef- has me in his phone as chef, for pete's sake- and it just makes me uncomfortable. I'm a cook, a kitchen manager, a guy who's not so long removed from being just another hourly line cook, and I strongly believe that if I'm not working harder than the guys I manage, I'm not doing my job and deserve no respect from them. If that means coming in for two hours on my day off so one guy on a double can take a break or washing dishes or closing solo so someone can go to his son's birthday party, well hell yeah I'm all about it. And it comes back around, always has
    Restaurant Murphy's Law 101: If you have 5 and don't prep any, you'll sell 6. If you do prep some, you'll sell 4

sorry for the hijack...
    Restaurant Murphy's Law 101: If you have 5 and don't prep any, you'll sell 6. If you do prep some, you'll sell 4