The Mind of a Chef

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
Have any of you seen this show?
It's on PBS and it rocks!
Featuring one of the "celebrity chefs" I actually happen to respect, David Chang......
......Great stuff. Just saw a DVR'ed episode of Japan.
Freakin' good stuff.
http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/the-mind-of-a-chef/
Check it out. I'm hoping to see mattrud in the background somewhere.

It a great show. Entertaining, but still informative. I like Changs personality and attitude on food. The episodes where he is with Rene from Noma are the best. His pastry chef is pretty cute too, lol.

what sucks is, this country based lock out on videos that are supposed to be out for the public's consumption. i don't get to see the whole episodes. if i get a VPN with a us based ip address then i get to see them, done it before. includes a bunch of other networks and shows.

Have any of you seen this show?
It's on PBS and it rocks!
Featuring one of the "celebrity chefs" I actually happen to respect, David Chang......
......Great stuff. Just saw a DVR'ed episode of Japan.
Freakin' good stuff.
http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/the-mind-of-a-chef/
Check it out. I'm hoping to see mattrud in the background somewhere.

Hate that guy, hope he stubs his toe kinda hate, Bastard!

I thought I posted something about this. The episode with him and wyle from wd50 doing their egg dishes is my favorite so far.

not to be too much of a nerd here but, suisin inox western gyuto is all over that first episode. im a little surprised. i expected something higher end.

That was a great series. When they first started airing it I would check very night after work for the next episode. Where I work now is heavily influenced by Chang and Tartine.

i noticed the suisin in there too, kinda made me laugh bc it's my first 'real' knife.

I so want to make the banana cream pie on one episode. Can't wait to see the next installment/season.

I watched the episode when they went to Frankfort KY and got wasted. It was a pretty good show though, and even my wife said she liked it.

k.

Really Son? Why so much hate?

Years ago,( he might not remember me but, I remember him.) I was working and living in Phoenix. One day I get a call from a guy in New York City. He says his name is David and he is about to open a new noodle shop restaurant in the city and is looking for skilled people with the ability to create authentic flavors with a twist. He says he was given my resume and really liked what he saw. He talked to all of my previous employers and some chef friends of mine and was really impressed. He interviewed me for a couple of hours and we talked food and ideas. We talked every other day for about a month, He got recipes from me for sauces, soup stocks, dumplings and a bunch of other stuff. I don't mind because, I like helping out guys who are opening new places and I don't mind sharing my knowledge. Then one day he calls me up and says" hey, I want you to be my Executive Sous chef, when can you get out here?" I said, " I can be there in two weeks". We agree on a start date, salary and duties. I buy a plane ticket, break my lease in Phoenix, come up with first, last, security and find an apartment in NYC in less than 2 weeks, sell my truck to do it because, I won't need a vehicle in NYC and lost my girlfriend because, she didn't want to go with me. I talked with David, everyday those two weeks going over vendors, menu ideas and how and who we were going to pick for the staff. He went over who the partners were and thier personalities. I called him that morning to let him know my flight number. Everything was going great. A couple hours later as I was walking onto the plane my cell phone rang and it was David. He ask me how I'm doing. I say fine, I'm on my way to the city, I just got on the plane. David says, "about that, My buddy just got into town and he was who I wanted originally for the position so, I gave it to him." " I won't be needing you, sorry." I say, "What the f..., David, I just gave up everything in my life for this opportunity, I'm on the plane right now!" David says. " what can I say, you shoulda got it in writing."
That's why I hate that smug son of a ***** and I don't hate anybody. Momofuku and David Chang's empire can kiss my shiny metal ass! Mattrud I'm cool with though, he's the man.

damn sachem, i understand the hate. i never really liked him though. he does come of a bit smug on some of his interviews. and i bet he's stoned half the time he's in the kitchen, i can see it in his eyes. life lesson learned, put everything important in writing. i will remember that as well.

thanks for sharing.

Years ago,( he might not remember me but, I remember him.) I was working and living in Phoenix. One day I get a call from a guy in New York City. He says his name is David and he is about to open a new noodle shop restaurant in the city and is looking for skilled people with the ability to create authentic flavors with a twist. He says he was given my resume and really liked what he saw. He talked to all of my previous employers and some chef friends of mine and was really impressed. He interviewed me for a couple of hours and we talked food and ideas. We talked every other day for about a month, He got recipes from me for sauces, soup stocks, dumplings and a bunch of other stuff. I don't mind because, I like helping out guys who are opening new places and I don't mind sharing my knowledge. Then one day he calls me up and says" hey, I want you to be my Executive Sous chef, when can you get out here?" I said, " I can be there in two weeks". We agree on a start date, salary and duties. I buy a plane ticket, break my lease in Phoenix, come up with first, last, security and find an apartment in NYC in less than 2 weeks, sell my truck to do it because, I won't need a vehicle in NYC and lost my girlfriend because, she didn't want to go with me. I talked with David, everyday those two weeks going over vendors, menu ideas and how and who we were going to pick for the staff. He went over who the partners were and thier personalities. I called him that morning to let him know my flight number. Everything was going great. A couple hours later as I was walking onto the plane my cell phone rang and it was David. He ask me how I'm doing. I say fine, I'm on my way to the city, I just got on the plane. David says, "about that, My buddy just got into town and he was who I wanted originally for the position so, I gave it to him." " I won't be needing you, sorry." I say, "What the f..., David, I just gave up everything in my life for this opportunity, I'm on the plane right now!" David says. " what can I say, you shoulda got it in writing."
That's why I hate that smug son of a ***** and I don't hate anybody. Momofuku and David Chang's empire can kiss my shiny metal ass! Mattrud I'm cool with though, he's the man.
wow. this story really changes my opinion of david chang.

wow, not taking any business his way next time i'm in new york. scratching momofuku off the list.

That sucks Son. I guess nice guys finish last-as usual.
It's still a good show......
......but if I ever meet "the Chang" I'll give him a swift kick to the gnad's from you!
A lot of the chefs I've worked with that were really brilliant also had enormous demons and quite a few skeletons.
Pobody's Nerfect.

Hey, The one thing I don't begrudge him is his success. He made it and that's fine. Go to his restaurant, eat the food. He didn't make it other people did like Matt. My issue is on a personal level, not a business one. I think there should be more successes like Momofuku. If his success gets people thinking about food and what can be done with it, good for him. I just won't be going there. I guess I really don't hate the guy he just really disappointed me as a person and a fellow chef and to me that is a whole lot worse. I can respect a person I hate but, I have no respect for him.

That last statement just shows you are a good person Son. We all steady respect you, and this is just one more reason why. No shame in being the better person in situations like that

Damn Son. I don't think I could forgive something like that. I wouldn't wrap myself up with hating him though (sounds like you didn't do that either)...but that's just not acceptable or forgiveable.

I've never heard of him or his place before...I'll make sure I steer clear of his place though. there are too many other people doing good work and also being decent people that I could give money to.

Damn Son, not the first time I heard of chefs doing that. Also I have met a few people that made it to the city before they got the call. A few I worked with had no business even being on the phone with a chef. Any way, I plan on trying his place if I ever make it to Nyc, along with others. It is just sad when you hear about it happening to someone you like.

No one makes it through life wt. out feeling used & abused.Anger may fuel the fires short term,blame game,but not long term.Look at diff. old persons some are open & alive while other's are closed, angry,pissed off,& now your old too.Both went thru **** in their lives.

A Suisin Inox Western,shows they have knife awareness,it is not fancy,a capable workhorse blade at a fair price.

lost my girlfriend because, she didn't want to go with me.

So Son, I have two questions for you, assuming the experience wasn't too painful.

1. How attractive was this girlfriend you left behind for this "wonderful" opportunity?

2. Did you get back with her after the situation blew up?

Keep in mind your answers will forever alter my opinion and respect for you. :eyebrow:

So Son, I have two questions for you, assuming the experience wasn't too painful.

1. How attractive was this girlfriend you left behind for this "wonderful" opportunity?

2. Did you get back with her after the situation blew up?

Keep in mind your answers will forever alter my opinion and respect for you. :eyebrow:

well considering his location is still NYC (as per his profile), I assume he didn't go back. Granted I have no idea where you started so im just using my "end of nightshift" rambling brain lol

Back