Media Massive Tune of this Season

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
"Kiyoshi Kimura, a businessman who owns the Sushi Zanmai chain of restaurants in Japan, has once again set the record for purchasing the most expensive bluefin tuna ever. According to the New York Times, Kimura paid 155.4 million yen (US $1.76 million) for the 488 pound fish. That's around $3,600 per pound. Kimura also set the same record about a year ago when he paid $736,000 for a 593 pound bluefin.

Bluefin tuna is normally pricey due to overfishing, but the price here was also inflated because "restaurant owners...compete annually for the prestige of buying the year's first tuna" at Tokyo's Tsukiji fish market. Kimura apparently got in a bidding war with another restaurant owner, which is why this tuna cost so much more than last year's." - The Eater

Here the video!
[video=youtube_share;C6dIEq8Uuag]http://youtu.be/C6dIEq8Uuag[/video]

I've been to a Sushi Zanmai around Tsukiji before. I got completely and utterly lost in trying meet my uncle at one of the 10 stores in the area... I also walked by it several times before I realized it was two stores stuck together. lol The one near Tsukiji was spectacular but had a very modest price for the quality of fish. I can't vouch for the ones out of the Tsukiji area though. :)

Reading this made me realize the value of winning a bidding war for the year's first tuna. It's pretty much paying for a global advertizement and I would much rather be announce by name, than "another restaurant owner."

Glad you posted this, Mari. There was another thread about this guy buying the most expensive tuna and a lot if disbelief and grumbling over it.

Back