Don't believe everything you read

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I know I make mistakes sometimes, but......I think some people do it on purpose.
There is a guy on ebay selling desert ironwood burl that is not desert ironwood burl.
It is burl, but no way it is ironwood.
Some of that wood made it's way into the knife community and the incorrect name was repeated.

Now, today I stumbled across a piece of Amboyna Burl that the same guy has for sale.
What do you think?
$(KGrHqYOKocFDwEk(PU-BRE!KwDMng~~60_3.JPG

Mark, thanks for the information:)! could you post or pm me that ebay sell's ID? I'll stay away from that guy:knight:!!

Mark, thanks for the information:)! could you post or pm me that ebay sell's ID? I'll stay away from that guy:knight:!!
I am not trying to hurt his sales or anything. I have seen him sell some decent stuff in the past.
My thoughts were if something doesn't seem right to double check things. Don't assume that something is correct just because the seller says so.

Now with the photo of the amboyna burl..........my vision is not great, but I am having a hard time seeing the burl part.
Here is a ************** listing.

I know this guy too. Been looking at his stuff for some time. This piece of Amboyna is definitely bogus. As Mark said, some of his other stuff seems OK. Never bought anything from him so I don't know for sure. This would certainly make me suspicious. If you want to know his name PM me and I'll spill the beans.

It probably is Jarrah...

That was my first thought also. MAYBE, even I have never seen it in that figuring but in that color, it could be narra. That, AFAIK, is the heartwood of the tree on which the burls grow that are called amboyna. So it might be a half-truth, in a way.

That said, I dn't think I bought from him but have seen his offerings in the past and never had seen anything wrong, so maybe here it's just an error? No idea. But there clearly are people with questionable offerings. Initially, I picked wood up from ebay quite often, but I learned to pick and choose wisely and reduced it to just a small handful of sellers that I trust. If I only had bought a boatload of the premium amboyna this one guy sold a few years ago, prices have multiplied in the meantime...

Stefan

Back