A Rare Find in an Old Barn

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Several months ago some people brought in some Redwood they found in an old barn at an abandoned homestead near here.
There were some big slabs of old growth Redwood and a crusty old grey chunk of wood.
The slabs got used for a project and the crusty old chunk was just set aside by the guy who does the grunt work here.
I had walked past the chunk for months ignoring it and then one day I was straightening things up and went to move it.
It weighed about 3 or 4 times as much as I had expected.

That got me curious so I brushed off some of the residue and the outer surface showed some potential.
This photo shows the first piece cut from the top of the chunk.

2_zpsa25d2a83.jpg

When I looked at the chain sawn surface it was looking really good.

3_zpse0c9a187.jpg

We cut a couple slabs and I took the piece that was the most solid. I cut in between the flaws and was able to get several good blocks.
This block was about 6" x 2&3/8" x 1&1/4". Weighed just under 3/4 of a pound. Normal Redwood would weigh between a half and a third of that weight.

hrb003_zpsa92301a9.jpg

Just going by my own estimations it seems this Redwood is comparable to Blackwood or Cocobolo in hardness and density. I have only found Redwood this dense once before. I never could find any when I was searching for it and here I pretty much tripped over a piece.

These are the blocks I was able to get from the chunk of wood. They are in the web store now. Really clean background coloring and a bit of a metallic lustre along with dark contrasting eyes. Pretty nice Redwood if you ask me.

They are located in the web store under the Natural Wood Blocks Category.

Ohhh my! That is some RARE stuff. Great find. I just secured myself a block of this stuff! :)

Thanks much Mark!

Im sure I will. I have had some similar to this, one time. Wish I had of purchased more back then and wish I could get more now. But have to restrain myself. lol

I may of gotten it from you back then? Its amazing stuff. The smell and look and everything about it is so different from "normal" redwood.

Not to mention it makes a KILLER looking handle!

God Bless YA!
Randy

Ohh that looks so good and Natural :D
Mark i started to adding to my next order, i hope its ok that i just adding them to my card with money order, then you can send PayPal total when i finished shopping

damn, next time im not gonna say "Im gonna sleep on it" cause I missed it this time

Thanks everyone.
I thought it would go away pretty fast.
I will look through what I have left to see if I can cut some ferrule material.

Shoulda woulda coulda - I looked at it last night when almost all the pieces were out and didn't pull the trigger, now I am having non-buying remorse. :punish:

I just got a block in from Mark today and I can truthfully say that those of you who waited lost out big time on this one. :lol2:

I had two in my shopping cart and walked away. Probably one of the bravest things I ever did in my life... Looks great, can't wait to see it on a knife.

Stefan

If I was able to get some more blocks from the other pieces,
I probably shouldn't mention it here...........should I?

Well.......I was able to get 4 more blocks.
I just finished posting these in the web store.
Click on the photo to go to the store if you want any of these. Just scroll down the page to the redwood.

All gone now.

Next week I will have to make a trip out to the coast and start ransacking some woodyards.

Thanks Mark this is some really nice wood, you need to find some more cool hard Natural woods :D

Back