• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Right Knife for My 40th

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc4pt0

Reaction score
So, with some convincing, my wife has agreed to "allow" me to purchase one more knife for my 40th birthday. in fact, she wants to pay for it! Given we are expecting our first (little girl) on May 9th, I don't foresee another opportunity like this coming for another 10 years! So I figure I'd better make this count. It's also suiting that after 25 years in restaurant kitchens that I've accumulated to this point exactly 39 knives, this last one being my 40th.

What I'm looking for is a gyuto 240-270. something thin-ish. On my current wish list top 4 are Mario, Carter, Marko, DT. Hence the reason I'm posting this here. If any fellow members happen to have something along these lines that was considering selling or trading, I'd like to express my interest.
I actually was contacted by a fellow member last week about a trade for a Mario 270 Dhandle. I almost shat myself with excitement. But then I was heart broken when he decided to rescind his offer for the opportunity of a re-handle. Not that I blame the kid, I just don't think he fully understood his new purchase at the time. Sometimes the holy grail ah- ha moment takes a minute to set in. I'm jealous.

I know this is a long shot in the dark with both my hands tied behind my back and nothing but broken arrows,but I'd figure it's worth a shot!

Rick,

That is two potential scores for other members in a week. You must have a few new ones coming in soon?

Marc,

Congrats on the upcoming 40th and on the new baby girl to be. Seems you and I follow along the same track, my first baby came at 40 also. However, I was not lucky enough to amass 39 knives before that point. I am on the waiting list for both Mario and Marko so enjoy whatever Rick sends your way if that works out.

Good luck, I too am of the baby at 40 list and I am not sure how many knives, have to count them....

marc4pt0, Rick, :dontknow:which knife:scratchhead:?? my curiosity killing me:dazed:!!

Thank you guys. I'm kind of digging this club, the having your first at 40. Many of my friends started 10+ years ago. Some ride me for starting too late, some confide that they wished they would have waited. Technically, I didn't wait/plan it this way. These are just the cards I have to workwith.

As for the knife, let me just say this first- I'm utterly surprised, blown away, by the offers that were given. This forum and it's members f*****g rock. I feel fortunate to have found this place to share and follow along.

Rick was very quick and generous with this offer. It's clearly a no-brainer, and thanks again Rick.

(drum roll...)

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/8224-CPM154-260mm-gyuto?highlight=

Marc,

Congrats on the upcoming 40th and on the new baby girl to be. Seems you and I follow along the same track, my first baby came at 40 also. However, I was not lucky enough to amass 39 knives before that point. I am on the waiting list for both Mario and Marko so enjoy whatever Rick sends your way if that works out.

Good luck, I too am of the baby at 40 list and I am not sure how many knives, have to count them....

also, as to the 39 knives, they ain't all gems. Some forschners from culinary school, some Henckels (my first), and so on. What can I say, the bug bit me early, and I sure as hell wasn't making the big bucks back then. Just enjoyed buying knives for "work". Like I've said to my staff before, this is probably the only job you can walk through a parking lot to work carrying a knife at your side.:knife:

Id say get a Mario gyuto, with DT damascus steel, and Marko handle and saya. you'd get three of your top and probably the most awesome knife around!! if i had the cash to do it that is exactly what i would do!

Congratulations, Marc!

We'll need pictures of the birthday present (and new addition) in the days/weeks/months to come.

What a great thread.

Congratulations! that is one great gyuto....

Id say get a Mario gyuto, with DT damascus steel, and Marko handle and saya. you'd get three of your top and probably the most awesome knife around!! if i had the cash to do it that is exactly what i would do!

I already try that.....however, Mario politely refuse...........:sad0:& Marko won't doing custom handle+saya anymore!! very sad....:IMOK:
Mario & Marko, if you guys change your minds please PM me!!:begging:

I already try that.....however, Mario politely refuse...........:sad0:& Marko won't doing custom handle+saya anymore!! very sad....:IMOK:
Mario & Marko, if you guys change your minds please PM me!!:begging:

That is a bummer! Markos handles are amazing!!! But he is very busy in the perfection of knife making so can't blame him.

That Mario gyuto is by far one of my all-time favourites. I actually remember where I was when I secured that beauty for the shop. Congrats!

As for the "whole baby thing"...I mean the knife is amazing, but this is huge! My best-friend is about two or three weeks out from getting his first from the stork (is it still done this way?), and I know from being so close to the guy that it's scary, exciting, scary, incredible and effing scary. So, congratulations! You're a lucky dude. Oh, also, happy birthday.

thanks guys!

jgraeff- what an outstanding idea! That's just dynamite thinking!

cclin- thanks for squashing that idea. Whew, for a second there I was scratching my head thinking "maybe I could sell this and that and..."

Lefty- I want to say that I know exactly how your friend feels, but we've got just under 3 months left. So I'm sure the "holycrapthisisscary, holycrapthisisawesome" feeling I have now is nothing compared to what I (we) will be experiencing 2 months from now!

4 months from now you wont have time / situational awareness to worry about how you feel, just how much sleep you're able to get

Only 40?!? Babies having babies! :D

We are one week out from having our first (and only). And I'm less then a month short of 47 :O Totally agree with the holycrapthisisawesome and holycrapthisisscary. Some of my friends in my age group have kids who are getting ready to graduate college, and one is about to become a grandpa.

Congrats on the birthday and baby, and an awesome new knife from a top custom maker :cool2:

Maybe we ought to start that up as a separate thread - I like that - Babies having babies. Enjoy it all as it happens, it is the most amazing time. I am going through her first major flu right now at 17 weeks - 102-103 degree temps and unhappy as can be. It sucks because you just have to let it run its course and make sure she doesn't get dehydrated.

Only 40?!? Babies having babies! :D

We are one week out from having our first (and only). And I'm less then a month short of 47 :O Totally agree with the holycrapthisisawesome and holycrapthisisscary. Some of my friends in my age group have kids who are getting ready to graduate college, and one is about to become a grandpa.

Congrats on the birthday and baby, and an awesome new knife from a top custom maker :cool2:
Wow David I had no idea you were almost 47. I thought you were much younger.
I hate to hijack the thread, but congrats to ALL you guys and gals on the upcoming additions.
Drinky, Kalaeb, marc, WildBoar,
Mike D just had one.
I know this isn't the first for some of you, but congrats the same.
I love my kids more than life itself and wouldn't trade them in for anything, not even Rick(Pensacola's) collection!
You guys need to start shippin' out some cigars!!!:headbang:
P.S. -Get as much sleep as possible now. I mean it.

P.S. -Get as much sleep as possible now. I mean it.

Listen to the Knerd all you dads-to-be!!!!

2 1/2 years in and I'm still walking around like a zombie. Who knew kids like to get up at 5 in the morning and stand next to the bed like creepy stalkers waiting until you roll over and scream at maximum volume "daddy wake up, peeaaase!!"

Do it now! Go to sleep. And take that bad ass knife with you :bliss:

Haha. The stairs in our house creak too much for anyone to walk down to the master bedroom without waking me up :cool2:

Hmmm, cigars. I guess that would be cheaper then the custom DT pettys I was planning on sending out. Thanks for the recommendation, Knyfe!

I would have suggested Cutco.....just kidding I would have said Del Ealy or something from Jon and Sara at Japanese Knife Imports.

I would have suggested Cutco.....just kidding I would have said Del Ealy or something from Jon and Sara at Japanese Knife Imports.

Damn the edit feature didnt work, I wanted to say great looking knife you picked. Or did it pick you?

Congrats on the baby....

I'd say it picked me. It certainly did find me.
I really like how this thread seemed to open up this sort of "sub-club" of us guys having our first kid at the age off 40 (or in David's case, 47 :thumbsup: ) It's nice to see, perhaps this impending fatherhood has got me excited about this brave New world that's about to unfold. Glad to hear others here are turning the same page.

I m one of the lucky 40 for dads, at 2.5 months my daughter started sleeping through the night. In her crib at 8pm, sleeps till 630am, then a diaper change, and many days will go back to sleep till 9-1030am. I am sooooo lucky.at 9.5 months, it has not changed either

Back