Wood Experts - What is the best way to protect these?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajhuff

Banned
Reaction score
I recently picked up these grips. They are pine, which is not the best application here, but I like them. I think they are just sanded and buffed. What would be the best way to protect them, a polyurethane? Shellac?

Thanks,

-AJ

20130208_115806.jpg

If you can find someone to do it, LP(linear polyurethane).

AJ, if you don't mind, I am going to just throw in a similar question I had today.

Any suggestions for an oil that won't discolor Goncalo grips?

Oil? Really? Just rub oil into the pine? I would have thought something more plastic like. I will look into it.

Thanks,

-AJ

When you look at Custom wood gun stocks many are a hand rubbed oil finish. What I've done in the past is rub with linseed oil. Let it dry. From there you need to wet sand with really fine wet sand paper and repeat the process several times until you get the finish you want. I use the same wet sanding process for multiple coats of polyurethane as well.

Re: Pine grips on pistol or similar, including furniture: I like to use oil-based good quality polyurethane (like a varnish). Multiple coats to build mil thickness of base, wet sanded between each coat until satisfied with buildup thickness of finish. Oil-base will build satisfactory mil thickness much faster than water-based polyurethane which may take 15 to 20 coats sometimes, but has advantage of very quick dry between coats (I do use both). On old Fox Mod B antique shotgun (circa 1935) I repaired, re-checkered, and refinished stock to as-new condition in 1966, and it still looks great today. Final finish is wet-sand using turpentine (if oil based) followed by buffing by hand to any level of shine (satin to high-gloss) is simple and quick using automotive rubbing & polishing compounds available at Wal-Mart or auto supply stores. Final finish is perfect on gun stocks to furniture, and it is extreamly tough and water proof.

Back