Quantcast
Blade Flex and Sujis - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Flex and Sujis

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    You should ask wildboar how much flex is in his 270 (I believe) suji to see if whipiness is an issue (I doubt it is).
    Quote Originally Posted by StephanFowler View Post
    I may have given the wrong impression, the blade in that thread is not dead stiff, I can grab the tip with my fingers and flex it a good inch out of straight pretty easily, it's clearly not as flexy as the knife in that video but it will flex if asked.

it's just designed to be "less" flexy if that makes any sense

Stephan
    My suji is a 300. I can 'flex' the blade laterally ~ one inch if I push on it hard enough. This has never been an issue while carving, although it's possible it moves a little around bones and I just have not noticed. Frankly until I read this thread, I had not even been curious about it.

Sounds like it is NOT a problem then
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I have a 300...(Moritaka) zero flex. Yet my 240 does have a little flex.... (I find flex is only good if your going to filet with it)

It seems that when going from a 270 to a 300, it isn't just an extra 30mm added. The entire profile/ geo changes. See Caddy's recent postings comparing his 300 w2 to his new 270 HD. The 300 casts a shadow on the 270.... I found it very interesting.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Actually, I wonder how much the steel and the HT have to do with flexibility. I recently looked at several laser-types and some flexed a LOT more than others even though the thickness was very similar.

No Chop, I was gonna say that I didn't think Cadillac has a W2 blade but then I realized you meant Hitachi White 2. I was totally shocked at the gyuto-ness of the 300.

I recently sold my Konosuke 270mm suji because it was too flexy for my needs. I'm still using a 300mm Kanemasa suji as a dedicated BBQ/brisket slicer.

Yeah, you don't need much flex with a bbq slicer. I used to do it professionally. Believe it or not a big yanagi works pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    If the knife is a dedicated slicer, there isn't an advantage for the blade to be particularly thin. For an all-arounder, a bit thinner makes it a lot more friendly, imo. How thin depends on what you're cutting, I suppose but I'd say that as long as the tip area is quite thin, it will perform well. Knives that are very thin near the heel feel odd going through heavy, harder objects.
    This was sort of what I was thinking. A thinner more flexible one might be a better all-around knife (as long as the flex isn't too much that is), but I would mostly have the knife as a dedicated slicer anyhow. I think I would go with something stiffer. I have a 7.5" Forschner utility knife that is quite flexible and use that when I need some added maneuverability around bones. A dedicated boning knife might be in order at the same time. Maybe Dave will even have his butcher set going by then.

Btw, did I hear that Misono knives are stamped, or am I wrong on this? I know they run a bit on the softer side at 59 HRC, but do stamped blades allow for more lateral flex? Just a thought.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Yes, Misono are not forged. They aren't simply stamped like Forschners are, either. They do taper in both directions. As for the flexibility, I don't know if forging makes a difference...

My 300 Harner gives about 1/2" or so at the tip is all, it's perfect for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I was totally shocked at the gyuto-ness of the 300.
    I'm with you, when my Butchihiki arrived (after I got over the initial shock of it's beauty) I took a double take for that same reason. I went over and grabbed out my 210 Kono gyuto and sure enough, they matched up almost perfectly for the first several inches. It makes for a great all-arounder if you have room to work the big bastard

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    My 300 [...] makes for a great all-arounder if you have room to work the big bastard
    Hell yeah man.

Even with how much I'm enjoying my new 270, I still like to grab my 300 now and then. I don't think I'll ever be able to let it go (hopefully, as I've said this many times before...so we'll see in the next year)