Quantcast
Blade Flex and Sujis
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Flex and Sujis

Blade Flex and Sujis

I was just reading Stephan Fowler's thread on his new suji (which looks awesome), but there was a comment in there about the (desired) flexibility of suji blades. I didn't want to pollute that thread, so here is my question.

I don't have a suji but will be looking for one come fall, so what are the advantages of one with more flex versus less flex?

For some reason, I have Hung's video in my head where he uses a Misono UX10 suji for a cutting demonstration. Right at the beginning he shows how flexible the blade is by pressing it on the counter. Because of this, I have always thought of sujis as more flexible. Video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwciXwM_5FA

So basically, I am suji ignorant. Anybody have some buying tips?

With that said, in the end I may just go for one of Pierre's or Butch's knives.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Thin ground knives that are not tall in height and long in length will flex easily, the idea is to not have so much flex that they go where they want, you want them to go where you aim them.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I was just reading Stephan Fowler's thread on his new suji (which looks awesome), but there was a comment in there about the (desired) flexibility of suji blades. I didn't want to pollute that thread, so here is my question.

I don't have a suji but will be looking for one come fall, so what are the advantages of one with more flex versus less flex?

For some reason, I have Hung's video in my head where he uses a Misono UX10 suji for a cutting demonstration. Right at the beginning he shows how flexible the blade is by pressing it on the counter. Because of this, I have always thought of sujis as more flexible. Video below.

k.
    I love that video and I know the exact part of it that you are talking about!
    When you watch, you can tell he is pushing pretty hard, but Misono stainless (in my experience) can be pretty flexi. I like how my moly gyuto feels because of it's little bit of play and very light feel.
    I'll be looking at a 270 suji in the future, and I imagine the flex is far less of a problem than it is with a 300.
    You should ask wildboar how much flex is in his 270 (I believe) suji to see if whipiness is an issue (I doubt it is).
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

If the knife is a dedicated slicer, there isn't an advantage for the blade to be particularly thin. For an all-arounder, a bit thinner makes it a lot more friendly, imo. How thin depends on what you're cutting, I suppose but I'd say that as long as the tip area is quite thin, it will perform well. Knives that are very thin near the heel feel odd going through heavy, harder objects.

I own two very high end 270 sujis. Watanabe and Masamoto. Niether are very flexible. A little near the tip.

Salty, do you have a 300 suji? If so, isn't it much more flexible than your 270s?
    I just can't recall anyone complainin about a 270 being too whippy, that's all.
    09/06

No 300 sujis.

Gotcha!
    I sure won't ever need a 300, but then again, I'm not a chef.
    09/06

I've never had any flex issues with my 270(2) or 300 sujis. They might have a little give to them near the tip like Salty said, but I've never had a blade not go where I want in a cut because of this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post

k.
    I may have given the wrong impression, the blade in that thread is not dead stiff, I can grab the tip with my fingers and flex it a good inch out of straight pretty easily, it's clearly not as flexy as the knife in that video but it will flex if asked.

it's just designed to be "less" flexy if that makes any sense

Stephan

+ Reply to Thread