Quantcast
Gengetsu or Gesshin ginga?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gengetsu or Gesshin ginga?

Gengetsu or Gesshin ginga?

So i am looking to buy one of these knives as soon as they are in stock... Any opinions on which one you prefer and reasons why? also white #2 or stainless in these 2 knives... any input will really help... just ready to make my purchase

I would recommend talking to Jon. He will walk you through the highlights of each and will figure out what your needs are. My brother recently picked up the Ginga but I haven't gotten over there to test run it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    I would recommend talking to Jon

2 really different knives
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Engorged Member
    I know I am not the only person who thinks that the Gengetsu is one of the best knives out there.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

i have talked with him... just cannot decide....

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    I know I am not the only person who thinks that the Gengetsu is one of the best knives out there.
    yep, mine is awesome.

how are you on sharpening, ChefStokely?

Quote Originally Posted by ChefStokely View Post
    I've used a Gengetsu; I own a White #2 240 Ginga. I thought the Gengetsu was an excellent cutter. My Ginga is awesome.

I'm going to try and recall specific differences between the two. Could you answer these questions?

1. Do you prefer a standard ho wood type handle? Or would you prefer a burnt chestnut handle?
    2. Do you prefer a laser or a slightly thicker knife?
    3. Do you prefer a clad or monosteel knife?
    4. Are you ok with owning a monosteel carbon steel knife and taking care of it?
    5. Do you prefer a stiffer blade vs. one that may not feel as stiff?
    6. Do you prefer a super light knife, or one that's more substantial in the hand?

I wish I could recall more specifics about the performance about the Gengetsu. Hopefully tk59 will chime in. I know he's used one and I think he owns one.

As for the Ginga, I can say that it's thin, feels unbelievably light in the hand, but is extremely comfortable. I felt almost no drag doing a fine julienne of cabbage, slicing pork, doing a chiffonade of basil, mincing parsley, experienced very little resistance cutting onions and garlic. It's a pleasure to use. I happen to prefer ho wood handles and the handle is extremely comfortable. The knife has very good feedback, can be used to rock chop as well as push/pull cut, and is not reactive (I only have a few areas of slight patina after using it for several days after removing the coating).
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

tk owns a semi-stainless version, and i know he really likes it. i own the white 2, and really like it. i haven't used a Ginga, but i'm sure it's very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ChefStokely View Post
    At least it's a win-win decision: Get an awesome knife, or get an awesome knife.
    They are completely different so it's a matter of personal preference, you'd really have to have some experience with both styles in order to know which you prefer. Most of us here are a little crazy, so we have something similar to both and consider them as filling different niches, even though they may both be 240 gyutos.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

sharpen with a stone