Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: just venting--stories---People who should never use your knives

just venting--stories---People who should never use your knives

I hope that this is the right place for it, but I really need to rant.

Last night, I went home from an abusive day at work.
    I reached for my favorite (and sharpest gyuto), only to find that my sister had:
    1. Wedged a 255 mm gyuto into an undersized drawer
    2. jamming the drawer shut
    3. With the edge facing the front
    4. after breaking off 8-12mm off the tip
    5. and creating a series of 2 mm chips along the edge.

AAAARGH!

I think that I was pretty restrained in a.) not cursing at her, b.) not raising my voice, etc.
    She is never allowed to touch my good knives, nor will I consider getting her anything nicer than a $12 cleaver.

Other instances include:
    1. My ex roommate using my knife on a ceramic plate and wondering why it gets dull quick.
    2. My dad who routinely uses the wrong end of our paring knives.
    3. The "helpful" idiot that will use a knife on a stone countertop, and stick it in the dishwasher.

Any other stories? I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread.

I'm sure that Salty, and the other pros have awesome stories.

Worst I ever saw was buddy put a giant 20ish quart pot onto a knife, snapping it clean off near the ferrule, the blade was instantly destroyed, I doubt it was a really nice knife but still sucks. Worst a family member ever did was put my knife away wet, came back and it was brown, a quick run of barkeepers friend and it was good. I would keep any and all good knives/equipment out of families hands, keep it in your room, away from the none believers. I am confident if a sibling did that to me, my hand would be out for a replacement, given the fact its a 255, I am guessing she was a pricey knife, you have my condolences and goodluck on the repairs.

I had someone house sit for me for 6 weeks while I was away in Mexico for work. When I came home my place was a mess. The woman who had been staying there had broken up with her boyfriend and moved home to Maryland the next day. when I came home, I found 3 Misono Swedish Steels up to their hilts in a pot full of water...totally destroyed!
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    My best friend put a wet knife back into the block. I didn't use it for weeks after. When I did I could not hold back and ... made her cry. Not my proudest moment!

I have cheap SS knives to share with my flatmates and i have ones that i am using... Locked away.
    As for my family, i bought them some VG-10 knives, so they have something decent and "bulletproof".

I gave my GF a kom kom Bunka Bunka which cost like $8, she is happy, I'm happy and she knows to leaves my knives alone!

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    I gave my GF a kom kom Bunka Bunka which cost like $8, she is happy, I'm happy and she knows to leaves my knives alone!
    Exactly!

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    Same here. Though she uses sooner if my cheaper more "robust" stainless knives but she knows how to use them.

I have an 11-dollar Brinox santoku(ish) for people at home. Plastic handle, plastic hilt and soft steel, but a very usable beater if kept sharp. http://www.brinox.com.br/faca_para_p...umes_2504307/p
    All the japanese blades lie in my knife drawer.