Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tall knives ...

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!

Tall knives ...

Somewhat random title, I know ...

I am still somewhat a novice with high(er) end knives.

Here's the deal. I've been using 240 Gyutos almost exclusively for a while now (mostly my Ginga). I like them. Not really a fan of 210's, don't have a 180.

However, my first J-knife was a Santoku my wife gave me (Kobayashi, Blue #2 in stainless cladding). I started playing around with it again recently after neglecting it for a long time.

I have to admit, I love the height (almost 54 mm) and the useful tip (compared to Nakiris). I wouldn't use it for all tasks, or even a lot ... but I love using it to cut veggie sticks for my son to dip in everything from hummus to guacamole and occasionally his nostrils

Anyhow, didn't find a lot of other tall Santokus out there, but was thinking about upgrading the one I have.

Any suggestions? I didn't fill out the questionnaire because that's basically the only limitation: tall Santoku (or alternative that is tall AND has a useful tip, maybe there are tall Bunkas out there). At least as tall as the one I have ...

Takeda and shibata both come to mind, I have a shibata suji and I love it, shibata recently came out with a 195 battleship bunka that looks amazing, alas I have yet to find a retailer for that particular model. I also think masakage kuijira would be a cool choice, I am planning on buying one in February when they go on sale, I dont kow the exact height but the nakiri is 60+mm so that is a good sign. If you call knifewear they could give you a better idea of blade height as it isnt listed on the site. I have also seen them take fujiwara gyutos and convert them to bunkas, might be a cool idea.

Itinomonn 180mm Santoku is 55mm at the heel
    http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...mm-wa-santoku/
    Huw
    There are many people who claim to be good cooks; just as there are many people who, after having repainted the garden gate take themselves to be painters.
    Fernand Point

As an alternative to a santoku, you could check out a Zwilling Kramer chef knife. Super tall at the heel, thin behind the edge and has a useful tip for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    Takeda and shibata both come to mind, I have a shibata suji and I love it, shibata recently came out with a 195 battleship bunka that looks amazing, alas I have yet to find a retailer for that particular model. I also think masakage kuijira would be a cool choice, I am planning on buying one in February when they go on sale, I dont kow the exact height but the nakiri is 60+mm so that is a good sign. If you call knifewear they could give you a better idea of blade height as it isnt listed on the site. I have also seen them take fujiwara gyutos and convert them to bunkas, might be a cool idea.
    Good idea, I was eyeing a Kuijira anyway. They just look damn sexy!

Just bought a Shibata Ko-Bunka and LOVE it!

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    Itinomonn 180mm Santoku is 55mm at the heel
    http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...mm-wa-santoku/
    That looks like a killer option, love that it's a 180! And the price without VAT is really, really good.

How's the steel? Never tried one of those...

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
    ZKramer get my vote.

Watanabe 240 gyuto is 55mm. I miss my ZK 10", I think it was about 60mm, not sure what the 8" is

Wakui kasumi 180mm santoku 54 mm at the heel. Never used one...

Tall knives ...

Masahiro for sure, and Misono carbon(almost sure about it), make lines of tall gyutos, at 24-27-30-33cm. Maybe 36cm as well. If you ask me, they are not tall gyutos, but large santokus. Takedas' gyuto is also very tall
    Once a Japanese knife, always a Japanese knife -> Once a Carbon, always a Carbon -> Once a Honyaki, always a Honyaki <3