Quantcast
Sakai takayuki AEB-L?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sakai takayuki AEB-L?

Sakai takayuki AEB-L?

Anyone know if the western-handled sakai takayuki damascus nakiris are AEB-L like the wa-nakiris? found one at a great price but I want stainless & the ad doesnt say, kinda late to be calling
    Restaurant Murphy's Law 101: If you have 5 and don't prep any, you'll sell 6. If you do prep some, you'll sell 4

you mean these? they're VG10.

makes me wonder if the wa handled damascus ones are actually AEB-L since the damascus looks exactly the same except for the handle.

Sakai Takayuki makes quite a few lines. If you are referring to the ubiquitous "hammered damascus", which are offered by numerous makers, the core steel is usually stated to be VG-10 (although some are 19C27, e.g. Kanetsune, JCK Inazuma) - so stainless

I dont think they make any knives with AEB-L steel or its equivalent.

Btw, I just received 2 specially ordered knives from Ashi Harmono for teh bigger nakiri, western handle ( 70mm tall and 180mm) and (70mm x 210 mm) which I hope would be ideal for my cut/chop and scoop. The latter as my chinese chef's knives with each weighing 200 adn 240grams respectively adn balance point around the tip of bolster.
    Swedish steel.

rgds

d

I have a 210mm Gyuto and it is VG 10 but it takes a great edge and lasts a long time,I probably sharpen this knife the least out of all my knives.It also does not have chipping issues like other vg knives I have.I think they are great value but benefit greatly from rounding the spine.

i have the 135mm petty and branded as yoshihiro but it's exactly what everyone else offers as hand hammered damascus clad with vg10 core. takes a great edge but doesn't last as long as i would like it. but gets sharp pretty quick as well so it's not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    I dont think they make any knives with AEB-L steel or its equivalent.
    iirc the Takayuki Grand Cheff (sic) wa was one of the first knives to be "outed" (i.e. confirmed by Aoki Hamono) as AEB-L way back when.

They use AEB-L in some of their knives but it's left soft at Rc58.

FYI - If they list Sandvik then the steel is 12C27, if they list Uddeholm then the steel used is AEB-L. Grand Cheff are all AEB-L

am pretty curious as to what steel those wa handled hand hammered damascus really are, as well, since they look suspiciously too much like the western handled counterparts that are labelled as vg10 core and on the unmentionable site says it's aeb-l on the wa handled versions.

can anyone clarify this? thanks.

btw
    thanks for the info dave

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    am pretty curious as to what steel those wa handled hand hammered damascus really are, as well, since they look suspiciously too much like the western handled counterparts that are labelled as vg10 core and on the unmentionable site says it's aeb-l on the wa handled versions.

can anyone clarify this? thanks.

btw
    thanks for the info dave

What's the name of the line?