Sakai takayuki AEB-L?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drumjockey

Reaction score
Anyone know if the western-handled sakai takayuki damascus nakiris are AEB-L like the wa-nakiris? found one at a great price but I want stainless & the ad doesnt say, kinda late to be calling:)

IMG_1174_large.jpg

you mean these? they're VG10.

makes me wonder if the wa handled damascus ones are actually AEB-L since the damascus looks exactly the same except for the handle.

Sakai Takayuki makes quite a few lines. If you are referring to the ubiquitous "hammered damascus", which are offered by numerous makers, the core steel is usually stated to be VG-10 (although some are 19C27, e.g. Kanetsune, JCK Inazuma) - so stainless

I dont think they make any knives with AEB-L steel or its equivalent.

Btw, I just received 2 specially ordered knives from Ashi Harmono for teh bigger nakiri, western handle ( 70mm tall and 180mm) and (70mm x 210 mm) which I hope would be ideal for my cut/chop and scoop. The latter as my chinese chef's knives with each weighing 200 adn 240grams respectively adn balance point around the tip of bolster.
Swedish steel.

rgds

d

I have a 210mm Gyuto and it is VG 10 but it takes a great edge and lasts a long time,I probably sharpen this knife the least out of all my knives.It also does not have chipping issues like other vg knives I have.I think they are great value but benefit greatly from rounding the spine.

i have the 135mm petty and branded as yoshihiro but it's exactly what everyone else offers as hand hammered damascus clad with vg10 core. takes a great edge but doesn't last as long as i would like it. but gets sharp pretty quick as well so it's not so bad.

I dont think they make any knives with AEB-L steel or its equivalent.

iirc the Takayuki Grand Cheff (sic) wa was one of the first knives to be "outed" (i.e. confirmed by Aoki Hamono) as AEB-L way back when.

They use AEB-L in some of their knives but it's left soft at Rc58.

FYI - If they list Sandvik then the steel is 12C27, if they list Uddeholm then the steel used is AEB-L. Grand Cheff are all AEB-L

am pretty curious as to what steel those wa handled hand hammered damascus really are, as well, since they look suspiciously too much like the western handled counterparts that are labelled as vg10 core and on the unmentionable site says it's aeb-l on the wa handled versions.

can anyone clarify this? thanks.

btw
thanks for the info dave

am pretty curious as to what steel those wa handled hand hammered damascus really are, as well, since they look suspiciously too much like the western handled counterparts that are labelled as vg10 core and on the unmentionable site says it's aeb-l on the wa handled versions.

can anyone clarify this? thanks.

btw
thanks for the info dave

What's the name of the line?

Grand Cheff SP type 2スエーデン特殊鋼Sweden steel58
Grand Cheff SP type 1スエーデン特殊鋼"58
Grand cheff SPスエーデン特殊鋼"58
Grand Cheff Waスエーデン特殊鋼"58
Grand Cheffスエーデン特殊鋼"58
Damascus 63 layersダマスカス鋼+ステンレス特殊鋼Damascus & stainless alloy steel60
Damascus hammeredダマスカス鋼+V金10号Damascus & VG1060
INOX8A鋼8A steel55
INOX color8A鋼8A steel55
CC PC colored handleステンレス特殊鋼stainless alloy steel53
USSステンレス特殊鋼"55
TUSステンレス特殊鋼"53
Aonikou安来青紙2号Aokami-260
nihonkouSK鋼SK steel55
nihonkouSK鋼SK steel55
ステンレス特殊鋼stainless alloy steel55

wow

thanks dave

this is the name: Sakai Takayuki Damascus Wa-Gyuto 240mm

it's the hand hammered in wa, doesn't say how many layers it is, they claim it's aeb-l. but it really looks way too much like the vg10 version just with a wa handle.

on your list there, it's probably stainless steel. doesn't say what kind though.

thanks for your help.

In my home block, I have a western gyuto- takayuki brand, that was listed as vg10. I also have a wa sujihiki- yoshihiro branded, that's listed as Sandvik....they perform very similarly. The difference is indistinquishable....

wow

thanks dave

this is the name: Sakai Takayuki Damascus Wa-Gyuto 240mm

it's the hand hammered in wa, doesn't say how many layers it is, they claim it's aeb-l. but it really looks way too much like the vg10 version just with a wa handle.

on your list there, it's probably stainless steel. doesn't say what kind though.

thanks for your help.

If I'm looking at the same one it is also listed as 60 HRC? I just bought the nakiri, haven't had the chance to use it, but it would be nice to know what I actually bought

Don't forget the importance of heat treat. It may be AEB-L but the blade (at Rockwell 58 or so) isn't developed in the same way that, say, Devin Thomas's are.

Don't forget the importance of heat treat. It may be AEB-L but the blade (at Rockwell 58 or so) isn't developed in the same way that, say, Devin Thomas's are.

+1, heat treat is more important than steel type!!

58 is too soft for my taste, and yes i know how great DT's heat treat is, and how highly regarded how he does it.

one day i will get a DT.

Thanks to you all, especially Dave, where did you find that chart?:) I went ahead and bought it too, augerpro I am curious if you got the western or wa? If you got the western, what's the handle made of? I've seen a couple different woods used in different pics, sites selling them new don't list the handle material, and the one I bought only showed the blade in the ad. Hope that's not a bad sign... hmm. It wasn't so cheap that i'm worried but not so expensive i'm not, guess I'll find out in a few days anyway

ah. jealous, thats the one I was looking for, but this one WAS a great deal:)

Hi.. been reading up on this. My understanding is that the Takayuki carbon knives are handmade. How about the stainless steel ones?

Interested in the Sakai Takayuki Grand Cheff Gyuto - is this handmade?

Thanks!!

Back